Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normanjg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Rights taken away from me?
    I have a 9 year old son that lives in another state(Vermont). I pay child support through the state of Georgia. I was behind about 6 months because I lost my job, and got a little depressed and contact was limited(no money =no meds) I am back on track now, contacting my son now and paid up to date on my child support. (no arrearage at all) My parents got a letter in the mail saying she is petitioning to terminate my parental rights so her new husband can adopt him. In fact she has told my son that he is only changing his name so he can fit in better (which I am fine with, hurts a little but I am OK if that's what HE wants, which he does). In the letter the lawyer said a copy of the petition was in the letter (it was not), I personally did not get served, or a letter or anything. I legitimated my son when he was born, etc, etc, etc. She moved him to Vermont from Georgia when he was young (against the papers for custody), and is to pay half the cost of any travel needs. (I paid for the plane tickets both ways for him and I to and from Georgia and Vermont.

What are my rights? Can she do this? Terminate my rights without notification? Help... Im retaining an attorney but I need peace of mind until then!
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

May 29, 2007, 06:52 AM
    It's my understanding that if you don't willingly give up the rights of your child, it has to go through court proceedings, which pretty much means it will be a character attacking session.
    Once you give up your rights as a father though, that is it. You have no legal association or ties with him.
    There are plenty of fathers out there that DON'T pay child support and still retain legal standing as a parent. Sounds like you are in it for the best interests of you son.

May 29, 2007, 07:02 AM
    I am not scared of the character attack. I have plenty of $$$ on my side and I am sure she cannot afford to make this a heated battle in court. But what are the specifics of what she can do? Time frame, serving me with papers?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Hello norm:

Nahhh, they can't take away your rights. She's only asking the judge. Certainly, when you oppose it, you'll win.

The money?? If the only way you can see your son is YOU buying the tickets, then that's what you'll have to do. Yes, you can sue her in small claims court for the money, but you'll probably need to do it in Ga. It's a small price to pay to see your son.

I'm glad you're taking your stand here. And, good for you for being a dad.

excon

May 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I don't want the money... Could care less about that honestly. I would only use that as a threat. I do not want to her hurt her financially, as this affects my son, I just want to make sure that she has little or no leg to stand on. Does anyone know what the policy is on this?

Does she have to give me 30 or 45 days? She has to contact more than just my parents and sister? What's the scoop?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Hello again, norm:

Relax...

There is a court proceeding contemplated and you've been notified. You've hired a lawyer and he'll probably nip it in the bud, unless the other lawyer just wants to rack up legal fees. He's going to know, that unless you're unfit (and I'm sure that's not the case), that he can't win. That doesn't stop lawyers from doing what lawyers do, however.

30 days or 45 days isn't even germane, and all courts are different anyway. The court proceeding, as I said, is CONTEMPLATED, not scheduled. Lawyers don't schedule court dates until much later in the proceedings. And, whether you were contacted directly also isn't an issue. It would be if you MISSED some proceeding, but you haven't.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

What are my rights? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have 3 children from outside my marriage by the same man. My husband has accepted them as his own and his name is on all 3 of their birth certificates.I live in Florida.now the biological father has told me he's going to go through HRS and try to get rights. What can I expect the outcome...

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

View more questions Search