Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnvron Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2005, 12:16 PM
    Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement
    Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass screws sheared off where they enter the ears on the cast iron "bowl". I broke a drill bit off in one trying to drill a hole for an easy-out. I broke the easy-out off in the other one :mad: ... So far not doin' so good! I did all of this at the end of the remodel so I've already built a new glass block wall, tiled the other three, and don't want to jackhammer the floor up. What is the best way to get this "bowl" piece out so I can install a new drain? Thanks in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2005, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mnvron
    Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron...sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass screws sheared off where they enter the ears on the cast iron "bowl". I broke a drill bit off in one trying to drill a hole for an easy-out. I broke the easy-out off in the other one :mad: ... So far not doin' so good! I did all of this at the end of the remodel so I've already built a new glass block wall, tiled the other three, and don't want to jackhammer the floor up. What is the best way to get this "bowl" piece out so I can install a new drain? Thanks in advance.

You don't need a jack hammer to remove a cast iron drain. Cast iron's brittle and will break out easily using a regular hammer. After removing the cast iron drain you can take a chisel and cut the lead ring. You may now replace with another cast iron drain with a poured lead and okum joint or if you wish more options click on this link. http://www.plumbrite.com/?page=faqs&...357b13eaa0aea5

Good luck Tom

May 13, 2005, 06:25 PM
    Cast iron drain in concrete floor
    Thanks for the fast reply Tom. Since the drain pipe that the cast iron drain is attached to also appears to be cast iron, are there any special precautions I need to take or techniques to use to prevent accidentally breaking the pipe when I start whacking the drain with a hammer to break it up? Also, the link you sent for the Wingtite drain indicates that it is not compatible with tile floored showers. I probably should have mentioned that my shower floor is tile over concrete. Thanks again for the speedy response.
    Matt
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2005, 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the fast reply Tom. Since the drain pipe that the cast iron drain is attached to also appears to be cast iron, are there any special precautions I need to take or techniques to use to prevent accidentally breaking the pipe when I start whacking the drain with a hammer to break it up? Also, the link you sent for the Wingtite drain indicates that it is not compatible with tile floored showers. I probably should have mentioned that my shower floor is tile over concrete. Thanks again for the speedy response.
    Matt
    OK, have you considered drilling and tapping new bolt holes? That would be the best way to go for you. Let me know. Tom

May 14, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Cast iron shower drain
    Tom,
    I was going to try and drill and tap new holes, but the tabs on the inside diameter of the drain are not large enough for me to be able to move the holes over without the bit wandering into the original hole. Can I heat the lead seal with a torch to soften it and then pull the drain off the drain pipe? My big concern is that I might shatter the cast iron pipe if I try to break up the drain with a hammer. Can I post photos to this forum? I took several pictures of it yesterday but didn't see a link to post photos of the project.
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2005, 12:31 PM
    Tom,
    I was going to try and drill and tap new holes, but the tabs on the inside diameter of the drain are not large enough for me to be able to move the holes over without the bit wandering into the original hole. Can I heat the lead seal with a torch to soften it and then pull the drain off of the drain pipe? My big concern is that I might shatter the cast iron pipe if I try to break up the drain with a hammer. Can I post photos to this forum? I took several pictures of it yesterday but didn't see a link to post photos of the project.

Hey Matt,

There's a way to post pictures on here but dammed if I know how to do it.
    Take a propane torch with a medium tip and run round and round the lead joint until the lead begins to soften. Now begain to pry up on the cast iron drain body. This could be a two man job but once you get the drain to wiggle the hardest part is done. Just work it on up. Good luck, Tom

May 14, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Cast iron drain in concrete shower floor
    Great. Thanks for your time and expertise Tom! I will give it a try in the next couple of days. With any luck you won't see a post on this forum next week reading "Does anyone know how to repair fire damage?" :D

I really appreciate the advise.
    BMac8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Wingtite makes a top-down drain that has side thingies--it's 65 bucks... I am considering this... I have the same problem as above... only I had a contractor who never put the threaded nut underneath... I am probably going with the Wingtite piece. Check it out. Hope this helps. I'm a layman, not a plumber.--BMac

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

Installing a PVC shower drain to cast iron [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $. Thanks! :) OJ Bean

PVC to Cast Iron Drain Mating [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick rubber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search