Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jumpin'JackFlash Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2005, 05:06 AM
    Bad smell problem - please help
    :(

I feel like crying because we can't get rid of this smell in the house and it is driving us crazy. We have our wedding reception at home in a few weeks time and I am getting really worried that we won't be able to get rid of it before then.

It all started 2 or 3 weeks ago... from one day to the next our kitchen started smelling really bad. Not only the kitchen but also the living room area (all on ground floor)... then you would get a bit of the smell upstairs, in the bedrooms and landing. The only place that seems to be sort of immune or only occasionally gets a bit of a bad smell is the bathroom.

We've cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom... no luck the smell always comes back. The area that seems to smell the worse it the kitchen near the fridge and the part of the living room that is next to the kitchen. Every time we think we have found the problem and get on our knees or climb on a chair to sniff closer the smell is not there. So it seems like the smell is in the air.

To help to me it smells like : old cheese, wet cardboard, a bit like earth. I don't think it smells like rotting but I've been living with it for so long now that I don't even know how to describe it anymore :(

There doesn't seem to be anything leaking... at least not that we can see.

Things that might be possibilities but again I am not sure are:

-just above the kitchen we have our bathroom. The toilet always makes a horrible noise when we flush it... it almost sounds like the pipes are banging together (the house is very old... about 200 years).

-also just above the kitchen we have just noticed that some birds have made a hole in the roof/gutter area and they are have built a nest. Could there be space between the outer and inner wall and some of the things they have used for building the nest have fallen down and are trapped in the wall and are producing this smell? Maybe eggs?

Sorry if this post is totally confusing... I am getting really frantic because we rent this property and the managing agents are absolutely useless. They are clueless like us... they have no idea where the smell is coming from and have no idea who to call to take care of it.

I am hoping that maybe someone here will know. Maybe some suggestions as to what it could be might point us in the right direction.

Thank you in advance if you can help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 13, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Some refrigerators have a pan in the bottom next to the floor to catch spills or water from defrosting. Pull the little grill off the front and see what you can find.

A 200 year old house may have been built with balloon framing. The same 2 x 4 runs from the roof to the foundation. Anything, dead birds or other animals, etc. that falls in at the top, can fall the whole way down. I am not sure how you would clean something out if that is the problem.

I hope some others post ideas too.

May 13, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Thank you labman. We've already checked the fridge and that is definitely not the problem. We are having someone come in this evening to move the fridge, the washing machine and the cooker to see if something pops up behind them.

Could you explain a bit more about the "baloon framing"? Does it mean that there is space between the inside and outside wall like I am suspecting? Maybe I should add that just above the fridge there is a vent... and I really think that almost directly above on the roof it's where the birds have made a nest. If there is space between the two and things (or animals) have fallen down there that is why it might be smelling so bad.

What worries me too is how are we going to get there? Breaking the wall sounds like the only way to me :confused:

The most confusing part to me is:
    1- we can't figure out where the smell is coming from exactly
    2- we can't identify the smell... it reminds me of the house I used to live in when I was little. It smells like the cellar we had. We mainly kept wine and cheese down there. Everything of course was very damp... so that is what is seems like to me : dampness, wetness, cheese, ewwww lol I'm OK with this smell in a cellar... NOT in my kitchen and living room :mad:
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

May 13, 2005, 07:40 AM
    Could be sewer gasses backing up into the house. Do you have any plumbing fixtures or drains where the trap may have dried out? Traps must have water in them to block backup of sewer gasses. Tough problem. This is just a wild guess. Run water into any drains you don't use regularly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 13, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Dave made a good suggestion I forgot.

All frame houses have cavities between the outer sheathing and the wall board inside. That is where pipes, wires, and ducts run. Outside walls should be filled with insulation. Modern construction has a floor and plates at each level blocking the cavity. The old balloon framing, the cavity goes the whole height of the house. Unless blocked off, you could drop a rock from the attic to the foundation. Older houses also will have lath and plaster inside, much harder to repair after cutting open. I am short good ideas on what to do.

The pan I mentioned is not inside the refrigerator, but under it.

May 13, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Thank you both... it all makes a lot of sense and they are all things we are going to have checked out.

If the house is indeed the way you described then maybe something has fallen into that hole that the birds have made to make their nest and it all got trapped. That would explain why the smell is more noticeble above the fridge where the vent is.

Ugh I really am not looking forward to whatever has to be done to find the source. I hope it's something that can be done without too much fuss... yeah right :rolleyes:

Now I need some volunteers to go put some sense into our useless managing agents ;)

May 16, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Ah well I thought I would come back to say what the problem was since you were so nice.

A guy came to move the fridge and we found lots of cat hairs stuck to the wall and when we sniffed we realized that a cat must have peed down the back of the fridge. So we started scrubbing the wall, the back of the fridge and the floor thinking that was it... well then we got on hand and knees to scrub the floor we looked on the fridge's condenser and tadaaaaa a dead melted mouse :eek:

Aren't you glad you just read that? :p

Soooo now all is well, trying to scrub everything still to get rid of the smell.

Thanks again to those that tried to help... it was good to have someone to moan to while waiting :p
    lauramcrath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 03:14 PM
    I have a smell in my bedroom like something died there but I can't fine out where. My house is on a slab no other room has this smell. I had a man to come out to check for damp wall or floors nothing. The atic is dry I have a new roof and I painted my bed room a month agobut the swell is still their
    kgriffith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
    The back of my fridge stinks. Not just behind the fridge but the grill behind the fridge stinks like there is something dead there.. I expect flies to me as it smells so like sh!t! My neighbour sells elextrical appliances and I asked his advice, he's making some calls tomorrow so hoopefully I'll know better then. My fridge is 11 years old. And recenly we got a rabbit who loves hiding behind it. So we'll see what happens! Karen
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
    Take the refrigerator outside and wash it out on the inside and on the outside even under the unit. You have meat juices that have drained in drain pan and this will cause a bad smell. The only good way to cure the problem is to take it outside and wash it out thoroughly. You should remove the cover to freezer coils by removing screws and sliding out cover and cleaning out drain pan in freezer. It's easy to do. This will make it smell new again and make it work better, too. Make sure to clean it well under it. DrTom4444
    SRJLB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 04:48 AM
    The house next door has been closed as a result of a fire for several months. Now it smells really bad and it is unbearable in my home. What can we do to eliminate the smell until the owners work out their legal issues?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in Tap Water [ 6 Answers ]

I've read all the posts about smelly cold water (great work, BTW!), but nothing quite matched the symptoms we're experiencing: We moved into a 2-year old condo last year and immediately we noticed the master bath toilet wouldn't completely flush, unless we held the handle down until it...

Dryer smell [ 4 Answers ]

I have a maytag dryer. When the dry is on and heating it has a smell of oil. The clothes smell like it too. The drum is discolored in the back. I haven't had any objects in the dryer except clothes. That is the only problem I have. The dryer is older than at least 15-20yrs. Old. Can you please me...

Gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem that my plumber has been unable to fix on a couple of occasions. Very simply put, soon after I turn on the shower, a couple of minutes or so, I get a terrible rotten egg (sewer gas?) smell. I can't tell if it starts when it starts steaming up or just because. Shower is used...

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

Smell after AC is ran. [ 2 Answers ]

I been getting a strange smell after the AC is ran almost like a gaseous smell, we been redoing the hardwood floors and trying to keep well ventilated with windows open and AC on to keep humidity down. I check all the gas lines with my meter for leaks and none found, could this smell be freon? Or...

View more questions Search