Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 06:57 PM
    You may need to show proof if the IRS challenges the claim. Otherwise, no.
    licio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 11:00 AM
    First of all thanks for all this helpful information.
    I am also an Italian researcher and, since this year I have to file as a resident alien, I understand that I need to fill out Form 8833 and enclose it with my Tax return to claim the Treaty exemption.

I can't find (good) instructions on how to fill out Form 8833. In particular, what should be written in Boxes 2, 4, and 5?
    AliTax Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Traianus:

You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations:

You claim a reduced rate of withholding tax under a treaty on interest, dividends, rent, royalties, or other fixed or determinable annual or periodic income ordinarily subject to the 30% rate.
    You claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions, or income of artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers. This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants.
    You claim a reduction or modification of taxation of income under an International Social Security Agreement or a Diplomatic or Consular Agreement.
    You are a partner in a partnership or a beneficiary of an estate or trust and the partnership, estate, or trust reports the required information on its return.
    The payments or items of income that are otherwise required to be disclosed total no more than $10,000.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
    AliTax:

You DO understand that you are answring VERY old posts; this one is ALMOST four years old, so his issues have LONG since been resolved.

Feb 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Yes I do. Is that a problem? Are issues always resolved?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Yes, usually within a year.

Feb 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Sorry you are troubled about that. I often browse this page to see how other tax professionals have approached problems. I thought there was some important information missing that might be useful to someone else doing the same thing at a later date. Sorry if you thought that was inappropriate.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
    AliTax:

I am not troubled, just a bit annoyed.

You have to understand that, right now, I am REAL BUSY, and I get an email every time someone posts an answer to an original post that I answered, no matter how old.

I have to check each of these emails out, and it gets frustrating that I am addressing issues that are YEARS old when I have better things to do, like answer the most recent posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Non resident tax exemption for Italian citizen? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian MD doing a research fellowship in one of the Harvard Medical School hospitals. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived last June and leaving next July. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. I have...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search