Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gemmanorton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Americans claiming royal lineage
    Hi,
    I'm new here and interested in my family tree and geneaology. I want to know, why do so many Americans claim to be related to English royalty, or descended from English Royalty?
    Didn't most of the immigrants who came to the states, come here because of persecution or famine or poverty in their own country? Why would royalty or nobility immigrate to the colonies? I don't understand that. If anyone has an answer or just an idea, let me know, thanks!
    -Gemma:D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
    While of course many poorer people came here, and many persecuted did, but then a lot of rich investors, a lot of people looking for political gain by getting appointed to POSTS here in the US, and you have 100's of years of various immigration also,

And also just having some claim to royalty does not make your family rich or famous, ( heck even my family married into the line of Charlemagne)
    Some may have been in the wrong side of a family during a take over of power, but a 3rds cousins great grandson may have a royal line but so removed it has little effect.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
    How could anyone be related to the Windsors? There are only two branchs to that family tree and both are reserved for 1st cousins. (Fornicousin)
    Any little girl who dreamily wishes to marry a handsome prince on a white steed is advised to marry the horse instead. The horse probably has better DNA.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
    MY last name ,I1ve heard all my life, started back durning the war with England. AT that time , to be a British officer,you had to be of Nobility. Any how I was told that 3 British officers deserted and a farmer told them to go 3 separate ways and take 3 different names. I have traced back to that time and hit a wall. I have even paid a prof. and they hit the same as I did. Witch one took my name I could not find out.. I was told that I could maybe find out by going through records over in England. But how many deserted .::" WITCH ONE??
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
    FBE: it is my understanding that British officers had to purchase their commission and usually the only ones that had enough money were in the peerage.

My sister has traced my family back to a gael keeper in County Anterim, Ireland. Not so exciting, huh? I bet it would be more impressive if I told you I was of Irish nobility - but I ain't, so I won't.

I also noticed years ago when all the "Past life experience" crapola was going on that the people that were able to channel their previous consciousness were always Egyptian or English or Russian nobility.

It makes people feel important and I imagine there a few people that interested enough in your family lineage to double check the accuracy.

I did find out today that Tom Hanks is related to Abraham Lincoln. Abe's mother was a Hanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Royal Flush [ 1 Answers ]

My friend recently rented an apartment in Akron, Ohio and tried everything to clean the pre-existing SEVERE hard water stains from the toilet with no luck. He decided the only remedy would be to get a new toilet since he was so embarrassed by the unsightly appearance. He contacted the landlord to...

Royal Bank of Canada - Contract? [ 7 Answers ]

Visit my website CorporateBully.ca - $100,000 - MISTAKE (FISHERMEN'S LOAN) Your opinion on this contract. Was this contract missing certain information concerning monthly payment date and amount of monthy payment.:mad:

Celebrity and royal wedding [ 1 Answers ]

Celebrity and royal weddings are always broadcasted nationwide.Do they affect the quantity demanded and quantity supplied of human interest magazines like Times, Forbes?

Onieda Royal Furnace won't start [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Onieda Royal OIL furnace we purchased in 1996 that will not start for a few days ya push the reset button after waking up to a cold house and it would come on .But this morning that won't even work .We cleaned the power venter pipe and changed the nozzle .What else can we do to get this...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search