Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anitha_cal Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
    What if birth control pills are not taken at the same time
    Hi All,

I am on birth control pills. I usually take them at 10:30pm before going to bed. I would like to know if the time at which I take my pills differs by half an hr to one hour (like sometime I take it 11pm and sometimes at 11:30pm. So basically I take it between 10:30 and 11;30pm daily) then what is the effect. Does the effect of the pills reduces or does it become non effective completely. Please let me know. Thank you.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

May 28, 2007, 05:46 PM
    No, a half-hour to an hour shouldn't make the pill non-effective. If anything it will make it less effective by a couple percentage points, 97%. But if you are using the combined hormone pill, it shouldn't do anything
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 06:15 PM
    This question I think is a litle to important. Please contact your dock. That like going from less than one baby per 100 to 3 babies per 100
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Generally, if you are taking the birth control within the same hour you are scheduled to take it, you should still have protection. If you said that one night you took the pill at 7 p.m. and the next night at 11:00 p.m. then there is cause for concern. Break through bleeding, increased risk of pregnancy, etc.

However, you really need to see your doctor about this. If you are having continual problems keeping the schedule, you may be a candidate for a different form of birth control.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Generally, if you are taking the birth control within the same hour you are scheduled to take it, you should still have protection. If you said that one night you took the pill at 7 p.m. and the next night at 11:00 p.m., then there is cause for concern. Break through bleeding, increased risk of pregnancy, etc.

However, you really need to see your doctor about this. If you are having continual problems keeping the schedule, you may be a candidate for a different form of birth control.

I agree. I was just have a lame attempt at humor because some of the"facts" these girls are spouting are ridiculous.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I agree that if you are taking the pill in the same general time frame you should be protected. I take my pill at 10 pm every night, but sometimes I'm not home, or I forget and end up taking it a little later. The only problem I've ever had is a little spotting if I take it late a few days in a row, which my doctor said is unusual, but probably attributed to my being sensitive to the hormones.

I've started setting an alarm on my cell to remind me of when to take it (I did this when I first went on the pill as well), and it's helped a lot. You might want to consider doing something similar if you have trouble remembering. If you still have trouble remembering, there are other forms of birth control which don't require daily use that you could discuss with your doctor.

May 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    I agree. I was just have a lame attempt at humor because some of the"facts" these girls are spouting are ridiculous.
    That's what my doctor told me when I asked
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Whst got me was the then 97% effective

May 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    whst got me was the then 97% effective
    I should have said it differently. If you take the pill at the same time every day, the pill is usually 99% effective, but if you're off a bit it goes down, say to 97%, something like that, I don't remember exactly, I haven't been on the pill for a while. But taking the combined hormone pill every day, but not the same time, doesn't decrease effectiveness as much as just a one hormone one.
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 29, 2007, 07:16 AM
    You should always try to take it at the same time every day. I took mine every morning at the same time for 2 years, and got pregnant on it. I'm now 8 months along. So just remember, even if you don't slip up, you can get pregnant. That means that if you do slip up, your chances increase.
    helllothere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2011, 09:32 PM
    Take your pill nearly the same time everyday and use a backup method. Have your guy wear condoms or at least pull out.
    newyorkbunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Hmmm, I just started on this combined form of birth control pill and had a similar type of questions. I started to take it around 7.30 pm daily, since I had an alarm on my phone usually for about 7.15. Sometimes I took it a bit earlier like at 7 O'clock.I had read that like half an hour here or there doesn't make a difference.But now when I read that you should not take it later I am scared of the effectiveness going down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pills are good for Birth control? [ 3 Answers ]

HI there! I want to start the pills for birth control?I don't have children.Is there any problem with the pills,if I want to have baby after 1 year? PLease help me.

What is the best birth control pills any brand? [ 1 Answers ]

I was newly married and I didn't know much about pills and we don't want to have baby yet any one can suggest a brand of pills that works good. Specially for first timers.:confused:

Birth control pills [ 5 Answers ]

I was using birth control pills(CONTRACEPTIVE LD, Ethinyl Estradiol 0.03 Levonorgestrel 0.15 ) for 8months,on 8th months time I start had brown discharge,I went to doctor,doctor said maybe is infection OR pills is not good for you anymore so doctor gave me cream for infection & new birth control...

Emergency Birth Control Pills in Canada [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, I'm hoping someone can help me please! =) I'm in desperate need, okay, so me and my boyfriend decided to... well.. have... sex. And well at the end we were having worries, and we checked the condom and notices a hole the size or a pinky tip, getting more and more worried we were talking to my...

View more questions Search