Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    havard Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2003, 04:37 AM
    Start up problems with my monitor
    When I start up my PC the PC monitor does not come on automatically.
    I then switch my monitor on and get a "Video Error" message.
    I then turn off the PC without turning off the monitor and then re start the PC which then enables me to use the system.
    I am currently using Windows 98se.

Can you help me?

Thanks
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 14, 2003, 11:52 AM
    Please post some information on your system.

What happens if you turn on your monitor and then turn on the computer?

~psi42
    havard Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2003, 02:22 AM
    I have since found out that the monitor cable which is connected to the video card had some pins missing.

After thinking that I had to buy a new monitor, I switched on my PC this morning and everything is now normal. I really do not understand this.

However I will see what it does tomorrow and if it fails then I will have to buy a new monitor and probably have to re seat my video card.

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 15, 2003, 11:32 AM
    I have since found out that the monitor cable which is connected to the video card had some pins missing.
    What pins are missing? Just to let you know, Pin 9 is supposed to be missing, I have no idea why.

~psi42
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2003, 02:49 PM
    Harvard, you're , and so is psi42 as well. The error is from some missing pins. Usually, pins 5, 9 ,and 15 are supposed to be pinless. I think these were intentionally pinless back a long time ago when there were no standards yet. It had something to do with different competing vendors using all pins in different combo to id the monitor. The reason you were able to boot erractically is because some of the other remaining pins were able to "just get by" with the other pins such as pin 4 or 12, where the monitor is id, but this is a temp fixed. Yeah get another or use a known good montior and see how long you can use it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start up problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have previously asked questions in relation to start up problems with a VIDEO ERROR. I decided to buy a new monitor but I am still having problems. When I boot up the PC a message comes up on the monitor "check PC and SIGNAL CABLE" monitor is OK. I then reboot the system without turning...

Having monitor or video driver problems [ 1 Answers ]

I recently accquired a used computer from my dad. It is a Dell computer, and I am using my old Gateway VX700 monitor. My problem is that once I formatted the hard drive and started reinstalling the drivers my display has not been good at all. It's really hard to explain what it looks like, but...

Start Up Problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have just bought a new monitor but on start up I am getting a error message "Check your pc and signal cable". Can anyone advise me what to do? Thanks

View more questions Search