Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niceguy2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Hamilton Bay ceiling fan problems
    I have tried to figure out and minimize the problem but so far I am unable to figure this one out. My remote stopped working on my Hamilton Bay ceiling fan. I thought it might be the receiver so I took it down, flipped the small switches in both the remote and the receiver but I have a hunch it may be the capacitor to the motor but I am not sure. The motor hums and with a "nudge" it will start. Is it the receiver or the capacitor and is it worth fixing??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 02:30 PM
    I f receiver has 2 wires in and 3 wires out, Should be able to bypass.
    Once Fan is working ,Troubleshoot remote, Switches and batteries
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Sounds like it could be the capacitor but usually the capacitor on a remote fan is in the receiver and the whole thing has to be replaced. Do the blades turn freely by hand?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

And see also:

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

May 29, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Yes, the blades turn freely by hand. Is the receiver/capacitor all located in a small round plastic housin in the light fixture part of the fan?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 05:43 AM
    I was thinking motor capacitor is with the light switch/reverse switch.
    I was also thinking receiver under canopy, at ceiling.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
    It sounds like in his case the receiver is in the switch housing, not the canopy.

Is there circuit boards in the plastic thing you mention?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Sounds like, in switch housing, I think ceilingfanrepair has better resources and Info related to fans. I trust his advice.. Good News. Easier to get to switch housing than canopy.
    Good Luck

May 30, 2007, 02:28 AM
    The circuit board and all the "guts" are in the round plastic housing in the light canopy. I even tried moving the switches on the remote as well as in the housing and no luck.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:41 AM
    May be easier to replace fan, seems like could be fan or receiver
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 12:48 PM
    You can replace the whole rounded plastic housing by ordering a new one from the manufacturer. If you're handy with electronics you can try to find the capacitor inside the housing and replace it yourself.

American made ceiling fans - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamilton Bay Model AC 552 ceiling fan speed switch replacement [ 6 Answers ]

My pull chain broke on my fan speed switch. I replaced the switch with a 3-4 wire switch. I matches the black, brown. Grey and purlpe wire with the same connect number on the new switch that they had on the old switch. I believe this is a three speed fan. The fan now runs but it can not be turned...

Hamilton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 4 Answers ]

I have had this ceiling fan for about 6 years. Just last night I used the remote to turn off the light and fan, this morning it just stopped working. I replaced the battery, but still cannot get the remote to turn the light nor fan on. There's a light that lights up red when the remote is...

Hamilton Bay Ceiling fan and light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a great Hamilton Bay Ceiling fan and light. Something has happened to it, and I can not get the light to turn off. The fan works fine, but the only way I can turn off the light is to unplug it from the wall. What is wrong with it? Please email your answer to [email protected]

Hamilton ceiling fan remote and wall control [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a hamilton bay ceiling fan equipped with a remote, Can I also install a Wall control unit to work with the remote? Are they compatible? Can they both be used with the same fan at the same time? (as long as they are on the same frequency?)

Hamilton Bay Caswyck Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

We just purchased a 54" Hamilton Bay Caswyck ceiling fan and would like to know what is the highest watt halogen bulb we can use. It came with a 100 watt halogen bulb but would like it a little brighter. I can't find anything in the owner's manual of how high you can use. Do you have any answer's...

View more questions Search