Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TX Griff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Push Pull Tub Stopper-Remove How?
    Here's hoping this is the 2nd dumbest question on the face of the planet.

I have a push pull tub stopper (see uploaded pic) in my master bath tub. A couple of years ago I had a plumber in to clear a laundry room/bathtub clog and I saw him remove the tub's push pull stopper and dig out some rather disgusting goo.

Now the tub is draining slowly and I want to remove the stopper. I believe (but won't bet the ranch on it) the plumber UNscrewed the stopper... but I don't know or remember how! :confused:

What is it exactly that gets unscrewed here... the stopper's nipple, or its base, the stem under the base, or what? And in what direction should I turn "it"? And how hard should I have to turn it? By hand... a couple of pairs of pliers... an act of Gawd?

FYI... tub installed in 1987-built home in 1995, located in (big surprise) Texas.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Pull the stopper out, it will unscrew counter clock wise, it should only be hand tight, the whole thing will come out.
    TX Griff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Pull the stopper out, it will unscrew counter clock wise, it should only be hand tight, the whole thing will come out.
    Crud...

When the stopper is UP, I can turn it & turn it & turn it... in both directions, apparently forever, with no difference in its height. If I could unscrew it, shouldn't I be able to turn it and, at some point, it'll 'catch' and, if I keep unscrewing it with a lil' more pressure, it'll then unscrew itself? This isn't happening.

When the stopper is DOWN, I can turn it m-a-y-b-e a 1/8 to 1/4 turn and it stops cold, but there's nothing to pull UP on except the nipple and when I pull on it, it only comes up enough to allow water to drain (when there's no clog ;) ) through, it doesn't actually come OUT.

Any other suggestions..

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Unscrew the top knurled Knob counterclockwise and break it down from there. Or you could loosen the set screw located under theknob on the shaft, If you need instructions on how to snake out the tub drain line click on back. Regards, Tom
    dbteeitup Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I had a similar problem. After some time giving it a stupid look, I figured it out. Speedball1 is correct. It is a 2 step process. 1) unscrew the center piece. 2) then what remains in the center is a place for you to insert a flat-head screwdriver. So also disassemble it by turning counterclockwise. Hope this helps... assuming your stopper is like mine.
    Smkntail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 09:14 AM
    I had to pull the stopper up and look under it for a small screw that when tightened hit up against a rod that ran up from the drain piece... much like a screw that holds the light globe to a ceiling fan. Once I loosened it enough the stopper part--the flat metal that keep water from going down the drain--comes right off. Left behind is the metal rod and the four pieces of metal that catch the hair. What I found was LOADS of caulk stopping up my drain... guess that's what I get for renting an apartment! Good luck!
    dontwantajoin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
    I finally got mine out. I found the phillips screw on the side of the post/shaft & couldn't turn it either. I got mad and stuck the screwdriver down the drain, at an angle, about 45 degrees to the right, hoping to catch the screw (see below)or the flat spot on the post. You can't really tell it's there in the diagram. I turned the screwdriver which turned the cap, counter clockwise. The screwdriver got pressed up against the flat spot I was amazed to find it began to work. At first it was pretty hard to turn, especially when the wall of the bathtub was in the way, but sure enough it started rising. I stopped having enough pressure with the screw driver, so I stuck my finger in there, felt for the flat spot, keep my finger against it & continued to turn counter clockwise, until that b finally came out. Make sure your finger is on the flat spot on the post, holding it against the screw does not work. The screw turn the cap & does nothing to help you get it out.
    dontwantajoin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontwantajoin View Post
    I finally got mine out. I found the phillips screw on the side of the post/shaft & couldn't turn it either. I got mad and stuck the screwdriver down the drain, at an angle, about 45 degrees to the right, hoping to catch the screw (see below)or the flat spot on the post. You can't really tell its there in the diagram. I turned the screwdriver which turned the cap, counter clockwise. The screwdriver got pressed up against the flat spot I was amazed to find it began to work. At first it was pretty hard to turn, especially when the wall of the bathtub was in the way, but sure enough it started rising. I stopped having enough pressure with the screw driver, so I stuck my finger in there, felt for the flat spot, keep my finger against it & continued to turn counter clockwise, until that b finally came out. Make sure your finger is on the flat spot on the post, holding it against the screw does not work. The screw turn the cap & does nothing to help you get it out.
    By the way consider loosening the phillips screw on the side before reinstalling.
    stopperfool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2013, 07:12 PM
    My stopper is in the tub and there is NO WAY to get a phillips screwdriver anywhere down that spout. There is no screw anywhere in sight on the stopper. I've pulled up HARD while holding the spout and rubber up, then tried turning with it pushed DOWN--couterclockwise both times--with No luck. Do I have to break it to use my tool for unscrewing the base, buy a new one and start over? This is ridiculous!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove the stopper? [ 18 Answers ]

I have a tub that has enough of my wife's hair in the drain that it doesn't drain fast enough during a shower, and it doesn't hold water during my kids bath. My primary question is, how the heck do I remove the drain stopper on this style tub? It seems to have become a more common stopper...

Can't remove old tub spout [ 4 Answers ]

My shower dribbles and has no pressure. I know I need to replace the tub spout, I bought a universal, but, I can't et the old one loose! Any suggestions? Thank you!

Push and pull water connections [ 5 Answers ]

I can not get the sprayer connection under the sink to not leak when it is used. It only leaks when it is moved because the push in fitting moves when you use it, no leaks if not used. Is there anyway to fix this situation. The person who came up with this idea never tried using it, nut connections...

Removing Tub Stopper [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove a tub stopper that is part of the drain. I am sure there is a way to detach, but can't figure it out. Any help would be great.

Gravity: A push or a pull? [ 1 Answers ]

Is gravity bent space-time which causes mass to "slide down hill" or is it a push force or pressure that is everywhere the universe that is shielded by mass? What experiments do or would show which model is correct?

View more questions Search