Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pete100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Do I need 200 AMP service or is 100 AMP enough
    I have purchased a new home (not built yet) near Toronto, Canada.

The standard service is for 100 AMPs. An upgrade to 200 AMPs is available for $800.

I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to.

I will have electric washer/dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher, and central air.

The home is about 2600 square feet (if that matters).

Do you recommend an upgrade to 200 AMP service or is 100 AMP enough?

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
    100 Amp probably enough, However if you have a job that pays, In the future you may
    Want a Jacuzzi, a Pool, a Welder, a Shop, Dock Power, an addition. If you don't expect Growth, don't do it.
    If you think you might, It probably won't be any easier or cheaper than now.
    To Upgrade in future, may be unsightly, some destruction, and if they wire for 100 Amps,
    Probably use smaller Conduit and Panel.
    Plus to Upgrade in future, May require Permits and Hassles. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Installing 100 or 200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to be installing another service for my buddys rental, he may go with a 100 amp or 200 amp panel. Now I believe I'm going to use 4/0 aluminun to the meter I figure this will cover either 100 or 200 amp. Now from the meter to the panel box is around 25-30 feet. Should I continue to...

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

View more questions Search