Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Theft under $ 5000.00 Canada
    Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the openings in the stroller, so I leaned the lipsticks and lipliner up against one of the sippy cups that was in a diaper bag. I was at the grocery store for 1 hour and a half, I had lunch there with my friend and her kids. I purchased the items in my cart. I proceeded to leave the store and the under cover security guard came up to me outside and said you have left the store with unpaid merchandise. The lipsticks and lipliner must have fallen into the pocket, it was an honest mistake. I had no intention of stealing this item. However he took me to the back room, I had to sign something saying I would not come back for 6 months. He did not call the police. He said that the police would be contacting me. He also said that the grocery store will be sending me a bill. My questions is, I have no record, I didn't do this intentionally but the security guard kept saying whether you did it intentionally or not you left the store.. I believe someone saw me lean it up against the sippy cup and thought I was taking the items.. I'm not sure... so my question is what happens? Will the police show up and charge me? Will I have to go to court? Do I need a lawyer?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 07:32 AM
    For now no, and most likely they will send you a bill and it will be done with, about 2 years ago I stole something from a store and received a bill for $300.00, it was explained to me as being paperwork fees, security equipment and staff costs and the value of the items stolen (which was only 10$).

I doubt they will go any further with it
    mom13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mom13
    Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the openings in the stroller, so I leaned the lipsticks and lipliner up against one of the sippy cups that was in a diaper bag. I was at the grocery store for 1 hour and a half, I had lunch there with my friend and her kids. I purchased the items in my cart. I proceeded to leave the store and the under cover security guard came up to me outside and said you have left the store with unpaid merchandise. The lipsticks and lipliner must have fallen into the pocket, it was an honest mistake. I had no intention of stealing this item. However he took me to the back room, I had to sign something saying I would not come back for 6 months. He did not call the police. He said that the police would be contacting me. He also said that the grocery store will be sending me a bill. My questions is, I have no record, I didn't do this intentionally but the security guard kept saying whether you did it intentionally or not you left the store..I believe someone saw me lean it up against the sippy cup and thought I was taking the items..I'm not sure...so my question is what happens? Will the police show up and charge me? Will I have to go to court? Do I need a lawyer??
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly... what about the police? How long do they take to contact someone? The security guard said they would either call me, send me a letter or come to my home... I assume it will be up to them if they want to charge me or not?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:24 AM
    I wouldn't pay the store a single cent.

From the sounds of it, you are innocent. Honest mistakes like this do NOT make you guilty.

Of course the security guard will say you are guilty, but what does he know?

It might be easier to pay the bill and be done with it all….

I personally wouldn't if it was an honest mistake, so I will leave that up to you.
    egostorm12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 10:01 AM
    If he took the merchandise from you, then you don't owe anything to anyone, and if he didn't call the police, then you don't admit anything. Haven't you been taught not to admit anything. That is your right. Only get an attorney if the police read you your rights. Don't answer your phone to them because they messed up by not calling the police when you were in the store. It may been an accident but now, no response is the best response. Got it! All stores know to call the police if they were going to prosecute. Only talk to an attorney if need be. No one else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Over 5000 Case Law - Canada [ 15 Answers ]

Have been charged with this offence in Nova Scotia Actual amount being charged with amounts to 116000 Plan to go to court with a plea of guilty Criminal Code seems to indicate sentencing to be 2-10yrs imprisonment Have had several people tell me that actual sentencing (Case Law) has been less...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

View more questions Search