Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamxung Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 03:51 AM
    Does white light always produce continuous spectrum?
    Does white light always produce continuous spectrum? If not, give me some examples.
    :D
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 06:02 AM
    White light is defined as the color of light made from all wavelengths of the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum at the same amplitude. So yes, it will always produce a continuous spectrum, because that's what it is.

However, we can make colors that will only split into 3 or 4 single wavelengths of light, that will look like white to our brains. This doesn't fit the above definition of white, about our brains will still say it is the same color. Scientifically, we wouldn't call that color white, but it's the same color.

So, in short yes you can, but it's a different type of white light :)

In lighting, they have another definition of white, it's defined as the blackbody spectrum of a body at high-temperature. If you fiddle about in your monitor settings, you should find a way to change the color temperature. This changes the color balance from a black body at different temperatures, colder temperatures look slightly blueish, warmer temperatures look slightly reddish, but it's still defined as "white" from the lighting point of view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White noise 2 (the light) [ 1 Answers ]

In the film white noise 2 (the light) danny dale the little boy with the blonde hair at the beginning who gets shot, does anyone know what other films he is in?

Continuous data [ 1 Answers ]

If data is grouped together, such as age (between 10 - 20) is it still continuous?

No heat, continuous blower [ 6 Answers ]

I've got a Day and Night furnace that has an electric ignition pilot. Normally, when the heat is turned on, you can hear the *click *click *click of the electric pilot ignition and then the blower comes on afterward. My current problem is that the pilot light now never lights (there's not even...

Ice maker won't produce [ 1 Answers ]

In addition to the jacuzzi issue, my ice maker won't produce ice on its own. The family who lived here before me never had it connected; the refrigerator is not quite 2 years old. It's a Kitchen-Aid. If I fill up the tray with water, it eventually freezes and the ice is released. I can hear...

View more questions Search