Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbenca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 09:32 PM
    How many forms of martial arts are there? How do I decide which is right for me?
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 10, 2008, 07:54 AM
    There ae many forms of martial arts.

They are often divided by hardness.
    Soft. Soft/hard, hard style.
    In general soft styles push/throw/trip more, and hard styles hit/strike/kick, but it also is about how much musular tension is used to do the art, and if more defense or offense if used.

They can be divided by heritage, or what most consider country who claims origin.
    Chinese. Korean. Japanese. Et cetera.

Usually a local school, that you can go see, without joining up, allows you the best chance to understand where is a good place to start. Watch a class. See how the instructor corrects the students, and if you agree with the type of training, and correction then you can ask about cost, expectations of class amounts and time for progress, and your needs toward the school, what you need to wear, how to notify if you cannot make a class. General guidelines, if different levels of interest have different classes, so you might start in the best fit for your time schedule, and the schools. Try to be ready, but if not a good fit, it is okay to go elsewhere, perhaps someday you will be ready or willing to come back to that school after you mature in martial arts more, so be polite - at all times.

You can ask the school(s) that you visit and don't want to join, advice on a school you could start at that might be easier or a better fit for you. So good luck, and be careful, it is your money, and your time, and you should make sure you spend it wisely to learn the things you want, hopefully in a reasonable way, and timeline. eawoodall
    gabe6122 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eawoodall View Post
    here are several web sites that may offer further info and products.
    the first web site is some of the products Dok Lee made.
    the second is by a student of Dok Lee.
    the third is by a student of the student (of Dok Lee) just mentioned, (whose material you have studied).
    i do not know the origin of the person responsible for the fourth web site.

http://www.childrens-safety.com/aboutdok1.htm

Hikuta Self-defense! Cutting Edge information and training

Hikuta Combat Systems: History

http://www.crossover-kuta.com/founder.html

i have on occasion taken a student or two, but no one you would know.

the first web sites videos are nice (i think late 90s), i have not gotten any of the videos/material from the other webs sites to review.
    sometimes a video or video and book (early 90s) by Dok Lee will auction on ebay or other auction sites. just this month the book/video combo went for about 60, and the video by itself about 25.

i will try to continue to provide you with info, as you ask more, continue to show interest. e a woodall
    How are you eawoodall? I was looking over many of your posts and was very intrigued by your skills and abilities you speak of and am currntly trying to attain said abilities through mind training now. Is there any advice you can offer me on meditation or physical training for kuta and any knowledge of its history that have been taken out of modern books? Thanks a mil

Jan 16, 2009, 06:15 AM
    www.ebay.com
    Starting bid 1 dollar plus s&h

eBay item number

Is a dok lee book and video.

It should have some mention of history. Published in early 90s or so.

eawoodall

I am not selling it, just happens to be for sale at this time.

p.s. I am doing fine, as always.

Advice: relax
    mimtnman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 02:15 PM
    eawoodall how long did you know Dok Lee. I am being trained in the true form of kuta by Dok Lee's cousin. My teacher is a master in kuta not the bastardized version hikuta. Knowing what I know of Dok Lee he would not get into the ring and fight. I find your statement hard to believe. My teacher studied with Dok Lee for 10 years and is a registered to teach the true form of kuta.

Jan 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimtnman View Post
    eawoodall how long did you know Dok Lee. I am being trained in the true form of kuta by Dok Lee's cousin. my teacher is a master in kuta not the bastardized version hikuta. knowing what i know of Dok Lee he would not get into the ring and fight. i find your statement hard to believe. my teacher studied with Dok Lee for 10 years and is a registered to teach the true form of kuta.
    I meet him. He said who he was. He wanted to see what I learned from the father son team he thought taught me.

There was no ring, we were in a hallway at my school he talked to me, then decided to fight me on the spot.

After he lost he told me he wanted me to accept DOK because he said "no one else was worthy", but he thought I learned it in a week (and I had spent years in training), I replied to him, and he left.
    So maybe a total of 15 minutes is all the total time I spent with DOK Lee, ever.

A lot of people doubt me. Don't impress me none. Obviously Dok Lee thought he would make short work of me, or he wouldn't have tried to out box me. Even though I have been told he was golden gloves. And he did go on to try kuta after the boxing.

Who I learned from called it by several names. Kuta. Other name(s), that some on here have called it. "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet", quote Thebard (perhaps you saw it in one of his plays?).

Mar 3, 2009, 05:40 PM
    eawoodall have you ever read a book by the title of Thought Vibrations by William Walker Atkinson?

Mar 4, 2009, 02:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe6122 View Post
    eawoodall have you ever read a book by the title of Thought Vibrations by William Walker Atkinson?
    no. sorry
    BlackOpal Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Newbie on site,

Was just wondering I'm doing a study on martial arts, basically looking up which is the best to study if one is looking to improve one's strength, agility etc.

I found information on Hikuta/Kuta on numerous sites.
    I believe it was first used by the Ancient Egyptians as a boxing technique that the pharaohs bodyguards were taught, them and them only. So I can understand why there is not so much information on the art/style itself.
    I have found numerous other almost 'no name' or 'tribal' arts and practices that use similar techniques/ideas in and around Africa (being of African decent myself) as well as some parts of Asia. (They all seem to have been derived in way or another from one another, which makes sense because that's how all information was passed on, across borders from nomads and other such travellers.)

Well my question is, what other information is there that exists that I could find that anyone would happen to know of on Hikuta/Kuta. Im particularly looking for whether there are any belts or ranks, terminology of the fighting styles... I see something about a crane technique was mentioned in the earlier parts of these threads.

IF anyone happens to have any information on any other martial arts styles please let me know. I myself have studied Taekwondo for 5years, (broke my toe playing soccer funny enough it is more dangerous than martial arts, so therefore to anyone learning a martial you are safer doing that than playing a normal sport! If you don't believe that, as I am sure reading the scepticism of many on these threads please take a look at rugby! Although I must truthfully admit had I continued to do competitions in Taekwondo I may have had a few more serious bruises and bashes to add, still if your technique is properly executed then technically one shouldn't get hurt.) I am currently starting TaiChi, as it is stationed closer to me.

I also reading through these threads just wanted to add, as I am actually a bit shocked at the rudeness of some the responses on here,! seriously people who are you to judge!! Im not going to name any names. For those reading however, please understand that if someone asks another person for help and information and they happen to share life's stories (whether you believe them or not) it would be nice if you didn't try to make out that the person is a fraud or that the martial art doesn't exist. I myself have been through numerous experiences which I'm sure most people would believe impossible, I myself have a hard time accepting they happened but lets face it, we don't know everything about everything! Please let each one make up his own mind and opinion about what he/she thinks of the information he/she is given, and allow a person to freely choose if what is being said is true or not.

This is a questions/answers forum to gain further information on a martial art, lets try keep it at that.

Seriously Mr. EAWoodall my respect for you for putting up with what some people have written on here, I thank you though for the information you have given, and am quite interested in the stories you have told. I for one believe anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and it is so nice that the posts are long and slightly elaborated and that you took the time to really write it all out and explain, thank you ever so much. Great respect to you for keeping the secrets of your masters (etc) a secret, despite how others have been trying to pry the information out of you.

If anything I too stand by the belief that one should only use the martial arts they learn in order to protect themselves and their loved ones, I see you mentioned this earlier and therefore I do believe you know what you are talking about.

I really do wish to ask you more for information on Hikuta/Kuta technique itself and the real principles behind each technique used to take out the attacker, the way the body is used to create the momentum and strength needed. These would all truly aid me in my study but I understand if you are wanting to keep certain things secret, and if you are unable to relay certain information, I respect that. I thank you in advance, however, for any information at all that you are able to post.

One last question I have is, if a person were looking to join and train to be able to study and do Hikuta/Kuta how and whom should one contact? Thank you and God Bless.

Apr 7, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Crane style kung fu is not part of kuta. I personally like to teach some of the 18 classical kung fu exercises so that a student is more well rounded. Web sites follow that have some kuta information sources on it. Hikuta is highlights of kuta.

Dok lee
    Self defense for woman (but is for all actually)
    Women Defence Video Child Safety Video Children Safety Video
    Children especially (defense only)
    The Fear Not Foundation - goodforyouamerica.com
    http://www.childsafetysystem.com/

Al a. student of dok lee.
    Self-Defense and Hikuta Martial Arts Program | Women's Self-defense Technique

A student of al a.
    Welcome to Hikuta Combat Systems: The Science of Self-Defense!

Dok - defender of kings - highest rank in kuta/hikuta.
    Kubler - middle rank, and responsibility.
    I suspect a literal translation means 'bringer of death'. Since kubla means death.
    Blackheart warrior (for lack of a better name), since kuta was noted during the blackheart time in records. As the rank goes higher the responsibility is more.
    BlackOpal Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Thanks a mega ton!

This really helps. ^_^

Wish you a pleasant week!

Apr 19, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Ea woodall I did not try ruffle your feathers. I have known Curt most of my life. He is dok lee's cousin. I can introduse him if you are interested he said he would like to meet

You. I have been training with Curt personaly. I have previous martial arts experience but when I moved back home last year Curt started training me. To me it took a lot longer than 15 miniutes. I really like the training. Curt did mason work with dok lee. Curt is certified to give up to a 1st. Digree Curt's brother dave is also trained in kuta. Curt is a great teacher. It's a lot easier when you live in the same town. Curt grew up with my oldest sister. He will be 50 this year. Curt also told me that hikuta was high lights of kuta. I am very glad to be learning kuta from him. It is a very brutal fighting art. After 6 months of training you are afraid to hit anyone for fear of shattering their bones or posably killing them. I love this art. I meet with Curt twice a week. I can have Curt contact if you have a contact other than bloging. I am very sorry about my first blog. Would like to meet you Curt said he would also. This is not B.S. I am telling the truth. If you meet Curt you will know I'm tellling the truth.

Apr 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Is their anyone who know of any copies of Dok Lee's original videos/ books? Any links would be helpful to my search. Or are their any teachers currently taking students anywhere?

Apr 28, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe6122 View Post
    Is their anyone who know of any copies of Dok Lee's original videos/ books? Any links would be helpful to my search. Or are their any teachers currently taking students anywhere?
    The only place I know of anyone teaching kuta is Michigan but you may be able to find someone teaching in another state but the only place to learn the true form of kuta is Michigan. That is the only place I know. I'm training with dok lee's cousin. Just to let you know dok can not be given to you unless you are the bodyguard of a king or ruler. Then and only if they think you are worthy of that title.

May 4, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimtnman View Post
    the only place i know of anyone teaching kuta is michigan but you may be able to find someone teaching in another state but the only place to learn the true form of kuta is michigan. that is the only place i know. i'm training with dok lee's cousin. just to let you know dok can not be given to you unless you are the bodyguard of a king or ruler. then and only if they think you are worthy of that title.
    Okay. I know some person(s) who is/are/were in line to rule.

Okay. I have defeated other famous people. Some many years before I ever met dok lee, others many years afterward, and yes they were the highest rank, or the top of persons in that art in the world. And yes I have gotten from them higher belts than they had, but they were authorized to give to me.

Yes I have training in martial arts that did not authorize me to train in them, and did not authorize instructors to train me in them. But that does not invalidate my training or earned belts, it only means that the people who authorize belts do not know what I know. Indeed I find it funny when people mistaken think that just because, as far as they know, there is no one of a certain rank, it does not mean that there is no one of that rank. I prefer privacy.

When you say openly something and no one believes you, it is as if it is a secret. Because if it was a secret no one would know. And if no one believes it, also no one KNOWS.

I have been given titles of various sorts over the years, and I presume such people were honest and serious in such doing, as well as authorized to so do. From what I know of people they would seem to be able to do so, and rightly give titles that they themselves have authority over. Have I saved/defended lives before, of course, were they important people, I would think all people deserve respect, and history perhaps will decide if anything I have ever done, or will do is important. It is not for me to say, but to trust, and let history be your guide. My work is simply me doing what I must. And my hope is that it helps those it should. eawoodall.

May 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
    I think you misunderstand. I never learned any kuta from dok lee.

I only meet dok lee for 15 minutes, once.

And some of dok lee's students (a father and son) had thought they were teaching me kuta for only a week, before that.

That father and son told people they were both doks.

I actually had learned kuta many years earlier in a different place from others. And were playing along with dok lee's students to see what 'they' knew. I was testing them.

Dok lee came down to my school to correct them, and told them to not tell people they (father and son) were doks. And not to tell people that they could train them as doks. i.e. they could not give the title of dok to people.

I said to dok lee 'that I was a dok' (after hearing dok lee tell them not to use that title, or say they could give it to anyone). And dok lee wanted to and did fight me to see what I 'knew'.

Dok lee thought I had only been exposed to kuta for a week, so that is probably why he thought 'i was the only one worthy of the title dok, and if I did not take it, he would give the title dok to no one'. Probably because I seemed like a natural to him, but I had many years of training in kuta without dok lee knowing about it.

I got my dok title from my original training. But dok lee also gave me the title of dok after he lost to me in combat. I did not use the title dok publicly until after dok lee was dead out of respect.

And I have protected some who have given me title(s) because of their right of rulership, or other authority, but I digress. Life goes on get over it.
    There are many who train people in kuta, sometimes they don't always teach everything, and the names can be different, but every martial art has its place, just as sometimes you want to use a certain level of force. Do not shoot a pea at a tank. Or use a tank to harm an ant. There are better ways to be effective. eawoodall
    drbill212 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2009, 05:47 PM
    I am very interested in meeting with curt. Can this be arranged? I am in Louisiana now, but will fly to Michigan to meet with curt, cody and/or cody's teachers who trained with lee. Let's get the DOK thing straight--- 'DOK is supposed to mean 'defender of kings' this would be english letters. If this is an ancient eqyptian title,it would not be in english. This is most likely another one of those things that Lee made up to beef his claim of ancient origins. Not possible to have this in english- think about it. Most if not all of Lee's story of kuta origin is not true. The truth eludes us all. I am rying to be honest in my comments. To Phil: PLEASE believe that kuta existed as early as 1969 when I trained with Leroy. Please believe that Leroy was fast and scary. I do not believe he was sharp enough to make it up, although that is a prominent theory. His books and tapes are not the real thing- hikuta is a made up term as I believe kuta is a made up term. What we call kuta is probably an obscure mercenary system. How the hell Leroy learned it is beyond me. It is simple, it appears to be unfinished or incomplete. Please do not judge kuta by his book and tapes. Cody in Michigan has some real tapes showing him doing the more complete system. He is quite a bit older, slower and sicker than when I met him in 69. It is not a fabricated system unless he made it up before 1969. Cody- I want to meet with you again when I visit Michigan this summer . Are you feeling better? Do you have contact with your friends who studied with Lee? Would you go to meet Curt with me? I have a private martial arts studio in my home in shreveport, La-- anyone who wants to share knowledge or learn the principles may visit at any time/ I do not charge to show you how to train- only if you want on-going lessons. I have accommodations in my home for visitors. I have contact with another older guy who was trained by Lee before me. He is not too open to talking, but I believe I could meet with him alone and report back. If you experience kuta, you will believe. Remember- nothing is magic, you still have to practice. Outlandish claims are just that. Woodall seems to know about kuta, but calls it hikuta- this term is a 1990's invention. He makes impossible claims and even when offered $5000 to prove his claims, demures. I just can't believe him now. My suggestion is to order al's tapes, get the basics down and attend a seminar of his or private lessons form him or me. Note_ jack savage did not train with Lee- I have not met him yet, but he appears to be trying hard. I still claim to be the oldest practicing kuta man until someone arises to take over that title. Dr. Bill Pogue 318 918 9671

Jun 7, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Sorry bill. I told you I have been doing it longer and can prove it. But I don't jump through your hoops. And certainly not for pocket change like 5k.

Bill does not know it all, or seen it all. But I have seen advertisements for bill to teach, and have heard of people who learned from him, and he is good at martial arts. And I don't say someone is good at martial arts lightly.

And if I had not l had not lived through my life , then I would not believe
    Any of it either, and I saw it! So believe or not does not change what happened.

Life is not what you can explain, but what happened.

Have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by drbill212 View Post
    i am very interested in meeting with curt. can this be arranged? i am in louisiana now, but will fly to michigan to meet with curt, cody and/or cody's teachers who trained with lee. let's get the DOK thing straight--- 'DOK is supposed to mean 'defender of kings' this would be english letters. if this is an ancient eqyptian title,it would not be in english. this is most likely another one of those things that Lee made up to beef his claim of ancient origins. not possible to have this in english- think about it. most if not all of Lee's story of kuta origin is not true. the truth eludes us all. i am rying to be honest in my comments. to Phil: PLEASE believe that kuta existed as early as 1969 when i trained with Leroy. please believe that Leroy was fast and scary. i do not believe he was sharp enough to make it up, although that is a prominent theory. his books and tapes are not the real thing- hikuta is a made up term as i believe kuta is a made up term. what we call kuta is probably an obscure mercenary system. how the hell Leroy learned it is beyond me. it is simple, it appears to be unfinished or incomplete. please do not judge kuta by his book and tapes. cody in Michigan has some real tapes showing him doing the more complete system. he is quite a bit older, slower and sicker than when i met him in 69. it is not a fabricated system unless he made it up before 1969. Cody- i want to meet with you again when i visit michigan this summer . are you feeling better? do you have contact with your friends who studied with Lee? would you go to meet Curt with me? I have a private martial arts studio in my home in shreveport, La-- anyone who wants to share knowledge or learn the principles may visit at any time/ i do not charge to show you how to train- only if you want on-going lessons. i have accomodations in my home for visitors. I have contact with another older guy who was trained by Lee before me. he is not too open to talking, but i believe i could meet with him alone and report back. if you experience kuta, you will believe. remember- nothing is magic, you still have to practice. outlandish claims are just that. woodall seems to know about kuta, but calls it hikuta- this term is a 1990's invention. he makes impossible claims and even when offered $5000 to prove his claims, demures. i just can;t believe him now. my suggestion is to order al's tapes, get the basics down and attend a seminar of his or private lessons form him or me. note_ jack savage did not train with Lee- i have not met him yet, but he appears to be trying hard. I still claim to be the oldest practicing kuta man until someone arises to take over that title. Dr. Bill Pogue 318 918 9671
    drbill212 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Proof
    Well, I am always open to real proof. Not just what one says- that is not proof. Proof is written, recorded or heavily witnessed information. If you just had one little iota of proof, I would listen. I have several test questions, none of which anyone- including you, can answer . That would prove your claim. I am not asking you to jump through hoops, just offer up some bit of evidence other than your unbelievable claims. You have made it difficult for anyone to respect kuta by making these claims. At least I have offered to show what I know, and I admit it is nowhere near what Lee knew. No one knows where kuta came from because Lee lied to us- maybe he did it for a good reason. Maybe he just like to jerk our chain. Never the less, he was very fast , very effective , and could prove it. I am not very fast or very effective, but it would take a hell of a 62-year old man to kick my 62-year old . I am willing to prove what I have- how about you?

Jun 23, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drbill212 View Post
    well, i am always open to real proof. not just what one says- that is not proof. proof is written, recorded or heavily witnessed information. if you just had one little iota of proof, i would listen. i have several test questions, none of which anyone- including you, can answer . that would prove your claim. i am not asking you to jump through hoops, just offer up some bit of evidence other than your unbelievable claims. you have made it difficult for anyone to respect kuta by making these claims. at least i have offered to show what i know, and i admit it is nowhere near what Lee knew. no one knows where kuta came from because Lee lied to us- maybe he did it for a good reason. maybe he just like to jerk our chain. never the less, he was very fast , very effective , and could prove it. i am not very fast or very effective, but it would take a hell of a 62-year old man to kick my 62-year old . i am willing to prove what i have- how about you?
    A. you are wrong.

Because you do not know what I or anyone can answer if we wanted to.
    You only presume.

B. I waited two weeks to even read what you wrote back to me, because I am patient, and I do not rush to respond because I believed your line of reasoning would be in this regard. I have answered you already. I am not a slave to your intellectual whims. I am not being paid to instruct you in life or martial arts. That you do not understand the master does not need to explain to you all things, shows you are not yet worthy to be handed any torch. You are a fine martial artist, you instruct well, you think you know secret stuff, you are incorrect.

C. as I keep explaining; no matter what I do prove to you, no one on here or anywhere else in the world would believe, just because you might someday, or if you claimed suddenly I am correct. The people on askmehelpdesk.com have no way of actually knowing if we are even separate people or not. They have no reason to believe you any more than they have to believe me.

D. kuta has a history, that I have hinted at, that you do not know or you would not make the claims that you make in a post just a few ago. Or in the post to which I am replying. But as I have explained there are many others sources.

E. a mans word is his bond. If you are a liar certainly do not trust the words of such a man. Indeed do not bother to listen to them, if however you have not seen or heard, what has been done in the world; or know without a shadow of a doubt that the events that happened are false or true then judge whether you can believe.
    I do not ask you to believe me, I merely point out, 'what if I am telling the truth'?
    Can you live with yourself if others know something that you doubt. You decide.

F. I do not make it difficult to believe in kuta. I explain what I have done, and how (I have done it-well often I explain), but the choice is one of suspending disbelief. When a student first learns martial arts would they/do they believe that they can learn to break bricks or leap off the ground to do a jump kick (in certain styles) or many other wonderful things? Probably not, but if they do not doubt enough to try, then they can learn how to do those things.

G. Many MANY people know because as I try to keep explaining my life is not a quiet one. As I have said over ten thousand times people have tried my 'skills'. Over ten thousand times I have had to deal with someone trying to harm/or kill me. "My skills are not, 'oh i learned it' and never used it". My skills are combat proven. The proof is in the pudding many say, but my master said, "the proof is in the fighting"

H. On unrelated note, I am saddened by the passing of david C. star of 'kung fu'. Even though david C. started martial arts after I began studying martial arts, and so was junior to me in time in martial arts, he did a lot for martial arts and its study in popular culture in the west, and indeed in parts of the world that did not always know about martial arts.

I. the older I get the more I agree that Dok Lee kept things from you. And if those things are what I think they are, you are well served by not knowing. Perhaps I suspect that safety is not always in what you know, or how you know, or where or whence comes knowledge but who gives you knowledge. The why of knowledge
    ,sorry I seem to make it sound like the reporting principles of who what where when how to make a good news story. Am I being obtuse, sure. Am I being honest, yes. Am I withholding that information that I think could harm or cause you to not be happy, definitely. Truth is not what I want it to be, in my small finite limited frame of reference, with my desires. Truth is what it is. I do not want to change, nor am I grandiose enough to even think I even could change truth. Truth.

J. if there is danger in knowing it is best that I know, because danger for me is smaller danger (or even not at all danger) compared to what you or a lesser student of martial arts would face. Yes I could say how I earned the title "highest ranked martial artist in the world" but it is unrelated to hikuta. In hikuta I earned the title "most dangerous man in the world", as well as DOK. The saying from kung fu is valid, "the beginner blocks, the intermediate blocks then attacks, the master no longer needs to block".

PEACE my hope is your life is full and well, and you enjoy what you have been given, do not reach too high for what is out of your grasp, but do not stretch so low that you do not achieve what other men marvel at, be well. eawoodall

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search