Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigJG Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

May 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
    What's the big deal?
    What's the big deal about weddings anyway? You spend a lot of time and money on something that lasts maybe an hour or two. Then what? You might be in debt afterwards. Why not use that money to put a down payment on a house or something like that. Marriage is marriage, is it not? Why the need for all the hoopla? Just elope.
    intellectpursues Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2007, 12:09 AM
    A wedding to men is incredibly illogical, but it's a dreamday for women. You have to imagine, this is what a lot of girls play when they are young while we were playing spiderman or what not. It's a huge deal to them, and it is sort of a status thing for them as well. This is just my thought because what the hell do I know what is going through a women's mind, but my guess is it makes them feel safer knowing that in the beginning of their life with their partner if they can start it off great, and that makes them feel safer knowing that if that's affordable, then your financial worries together won't be so rough down the road and life with their guy can be OK in that aspect
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 27, 2007, 01:42 AM
    I agree with intellectpursues... another angle is that the women like to be shown off. It's true, they want big shiny rings, they want big comfy houses, they want pretty things that catch the eye. Most women are revered for their innate ability to act upon their feelings, but they utilize their senses to let everyone else use their senses, and be seen in essence. My wife was all about the whole lets get married and save money, so we did the justice of the peace thing. I was cool with that, but I could tell she was pandering to my financial concerns more than her wants. A wedding is without a doubt a want, not a need. Their feelings make them want the big shiny thing, the wedding, so that everyone else has to use their senses, and see them get married. My wife and I are now financially stable enough to afford a wedding. We are having a vow renewal in the mountains upon my return from iraq, and I can tell I'm right in my thoughts because I see her face light up every time I mention it. Also, as a good guy and understanding guy, we may not care if there is a wedding, but if we want it for them and want them to be happy, then we in turn will pander to them. Oh I almost forgot... I have to give the answer everyone that thinks is what should be said to every one: seek therapy (sense the sarcasm?)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJG
    What's the big deal about weddings anyway? You spend a lot of time and money on something that lasts maybe an hour or two. Then what? You might be in debt afterwards. Why not use that money to put a down payment on a house or something like that. Marriage is marriage, is it not? Why the need for all the hoopla? Just elope.
    A wedding is a social event. It is a way for both families. The family of the bride and groom to have a chanch to come together as one family. To witness two people coming together as one and to have the community together and family as witnesses.

The one thing that will stick to my mind. The priest said to us before we got married. He said I do not worry about the wedding day as much as the actual marriage. The wedding day is one day. Marriage will be everyday and for the rest of your life.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 08:11 AM
    A couple can have a very nice church wedding at little costs. It is often the meals, the parties and other costs that add up.

A new couple should NEVER spend more than they can afford reasonably. To do so is only asking for marriage troubles over money. Nice and fun as JesusHelper mentioned is for the family. Just don't over spend, you can have a nice reception and wedding for a lot less if you just don't go over board.
    Mrs Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

May 30, 2007, 04:47 AM
    I have to agree with you bigjg, i personally do not see the point either, and neither does my boyfriend.
    I have never been the kind of woman to dream for hours on end of what kind of dress i will wear, or of a knight in shining armour to come along and be perfect in every way.
    The only things important to me is

1. that my husband to be wants to get married as much as me.
    2.the location, i dont want a church wedding, i want somewhere meaningful to both of us.
    3.that hubby to be actually shows up on the day!

seriously, for me, thats it.
    We have been talking about marriage a little bit over the last few months, and we both believe its the marriage that counts, not the wedding.
    We would both rather concentrate on having a happy marriage with a bit of money behind us, than blowing everything we have on the actual wedding.
    Just my oppinion, i know that some girls will disagree with me, but each to their own.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 05:13 AM
    The big deal is this: Our wedding day is often the ONLY day we get to be a princess in our lives. We get the ball gown, and the dancing, and to be the absolute center of everyone's attention.

Is the marriage more important than the wedding? Absolutely.

Is the wedding still important? You betcha.
    ncgirl_21 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
    I do agree about the fact that people spend way too much on weddings,but you also have to understand that a girl dreams of the day when she'll meet her special someone and your wedding day is a big day for her its not all about how extravgant it is but about publicly showing your love for one another and wanting to share that with your family and friends. Its also a good time for both famlies to attend and enjoy each other and meet one another. You don't have to spend a lot to have a nice wedding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DAEWOO 1.5i big big problems [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1994 daewoo 1.5i and recently for quite some time now when I drive about half an hour it splutters and chokes and cut's out. IT IS multi-point fuel injected. Do not know why it is doing this PLEASE HELP!! Add me on msn if you know why [email protected]

What's the BIG deal? [ 2 Answers ]

I asked my dad if I can get my ears gaged. He said hell no! Im getting them done anyway. Why wouldn't he want me to get them done? I really want it. I even saved up money to get them done. I don't see what's the big deal. He said its not a going to get me a goood name?:confused:

In a big, BIG hole. Have small shovel. [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served papers for a debt that I owe on a vehicle that was repo'ed. The vehicle, which was a 2005 Lotus Elise was purchased by myself and a company (the company did not have sufficient credit to purchase the car and I did not have the income to purchase the car, but together we were...

No big deal [ 2 Answers ]

On Tomb Raider Legends, I was on the level where you ride your bike in the snow to catch a train, and I got to the part with the tulsa coils. I finished the whole tulsa coil thing and when I was going out of the room I fell, but didn't die. I tried to get back to the main part but the door isn't...

View more questions Search