Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awwonder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 06:41 PM
    HIPPA violations
    I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the psychaitrists called his works' governing agency to report the alcoholism diagnosis. The governing agency said that since no violation occurred at work or on said premeses that there was going to be no report. Then the Dr. decided to call his company and let them know of her diagnosis of alcoholism. EAP got involved and now the situation is very unfavorable for several reasons. Not only will this be very financially damaging but it has hurt his work relations/position. I am wondering if her decision to report information to these persons was a violation of HIPAA regulations and if so does he have any legal rights to pursue a case against the hospital or the doctor? If he should pursue legal means, do you have the contact informaton for a lawyer in the Parker or Denver Colorado area that could assist with our questions?

I appreciate your time,
    Amy
    antymay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
    It sure sounds like a hipaa violation unless he's a pilot or a professional driver.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
    It sure is - employers do not have he right to an employees medical information. I worked in HR and if an employee wanted to talk to me about anything health related they had to sign a bunch of waivers and have ALL of their rights explained to me. I would contact an lawyer and see what you can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation violations [ 4 Answers ]

My roommate has been on probation for 20 months of a 24 month sentence. His conviction was for a Alcohol related misdemeanor. Part of his probation was no alcohol consumption and no attending bars. He has not been arrested however he has been to a few bars seeming how he is a senior in college. ...

Hippa Violation or Defamation [ 7 Answers ]

I work in Pennsylvania. I called my employer after work to tell him that I needed to take some time off to seek professional help for alcohol abuse. I said he understood and to do whatever I need to do. He was the only person I told. I went to a rehab and was released after 3 days due to lack of...

What are the 10 most common violations? [ 2 Answers ]

In dwellings and for new and old installations. 1. Are AFCI's the way to go, and are they required when replacing receptacles or fixtures in a bedroom? 2. How are we supposed to test a GFCI? 3. Is there really a problem when VD shows up during an inspection, or is reversed polarity more...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search