Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

May 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Legal and binding document
    State - Illinois

Is an initialled piece of paper a legal and binding document if it was signed under duress? It was not notarized or submitted through the court system.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
    1. Depends on what the paper was, for example a bill for sale for a house no.

2. a contract does not have to be notarized or sent to the court to be binding. Even a verbal agreement, I will sell you a car for... dollars, and you say yes, and give them a deposit, that is a legal binding contract, harder to prove but legal.

3. The issue of duress, it depends on what you are calling duress, did they have a gun pointed at your child or at you, or was it just a pushy sales person?

So you have to explain what type of document, what type of duress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Contract Binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My Mortgage broker contacted World Savings for a equity or re-finance loan on my home of 27 years in Sarasota. FL. I received in the mail 2 sets of documents from World Savings on Jan. 11, 2007, of the same. One said your Loan Documents... sign and return with a pre-paid envelope. Loan amount of...

Legal binding on new house contract [ 3 Answers ]

I recently signed papers to purchase a house (35 days ago) but just found out I was misinformed about the loan. I was misled and lied to about the loan contract. What I signed for is not how they explained to me. They (mortgage broker and titlle agency) intentionally gave me false information to...

Is this rental agreement still binding [ 5 Answers ]

My husband & I paid a Real Estate Agency to rent our home & collect the rent etc. for a fee. It was going smoothly until someone supposedly embezzled money from the company. The company went out of business. We were wondering if the renters are still obligated to pay us the same way they were...

View more questions Search