Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sloeblack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Rotating Line to Touch Circle
    A line starts outside a circle at point A. It passes through the centre of the circle and ends inside the circle at point B. With point A remaining fixed, I want the line to rotate so that point B touches the circle. The following variables are known:
    Distance AB
    Distance from A to circle centre
    Circle radius

How do I calculate the angle through which the line must rotate?
    Attached Images

Doddddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 03:58 PM
    here is how you do. You take it analiticly. First let's say the origin is the point A. so A(0,0). Then take C(d,0) and B(d2,0).

now we write the circle equation:
    C1: (x-d)^2+y^2=r^2

if you look better you see that you actually rotate the line on a circle. So let's write that circle's equation:
    C2: x^2+y^2=d2^2

now intersecting the two circels you can get the coordonates of the point(s) that you need for finding the angle (the point where the line will touch the circle C1)

from C1&C2 => x12=(d^2+d2^2-r^2)/2d => y1,y2

once you have the coordonates for the point(s) touching the circle (let's say point D and D') you just have to find the equation of AC and of AD and calculate the angle between (tg(angle)=(m1-m2)/1+m1*m2 or something like this)
    sloeblack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to repy. Looks good, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
    fizixx Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2005, 11:52 AM
    Info ?
    Do you know anything about the circle?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toe touch [ 10 Answers ]

?? I need a lot of help to get my toe touch higher and more straight? Can some one please help me know? I want to make it on the high school team!

Skin complexion and dark circle [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what is the best way to improve skin complexion. I used to be fair few months back but due to severe tanning my skin color has changed to a few darker shades. Can you suggest some guaranteed crème or some home remedy. Also, I have a serious problem of dark circles from many...

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Rotating Cast Iron Plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

1956 vintage house with cast iron plumbing has the washer pump out line through a typical P trap into a threaded connection on a 2 inch by 1.5 inch CI tee in a vertical run (up to a vent to roof, down into the slab and sewer system). Unfortunately, the tee branch points out into the laundry room...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search