Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfischer1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2005, 06:09 AM
    New Home with low pressure or flow?
    I have just moved into my new home which was just finished being build 2 weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed about the house is that it has low pressure. First a little information... My new home is located immediately next to a brand new 125 foot water tower that was installed for this subdivision. My water meter is 5/8" and the main line to the house from the meter is 3/4". The house is a single story 3 bedroom 3 bath house with a full basement. When I measure the water pressure at the front hose connection on my house, I get 40 psi. I called the water company and they came out and told me that they showed 50 psi measured on the same connection. I went and bought a new psi gauge and measured again. Still 40 psi even with the new gauge. Now I know that 40 is not that bad, but my last house had over 55 psi and the difference is killing me. My builder told me to install low-pressure shower heads and this would solve my problem. I refuse to do this. Even if I did, the water pressure at the kitchen sink, washer, outside hose connections, etc would still have low pressure. I have taken apart the shower head and remove the "water saver" plastic disc and this helped a little, but not enough.

I have spent many hours reading other posts and doing research and now I am not sure if the problem is low pressure or low flow. How can I tell? I also asked about a larger water meter with thoughts that it might be restricting the flow, but the water company told me that the 5/8" meter should be fine. I am at a loss and not sure what to do now. Should I install a pump to boost the pressure? If so, what exactly do I need? Is the meter and supply line the correct size?

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 10, 2005, 06:52 AM
    A 125' tower should produce 54 psi. In a no flow set up as with a pressure gage on the outside faucet, you should have the full incoming pressure regardless of any restrictions. Restrictions to flow will cause a bigger pressure drop when water is flowing. It is possible there is a pressure regulator somewhere they set using the gage that give 50 psi at your house. Look around your meter. Regulators usually are round and flat with an adjusting bolt in the middle of one side. Screwing the bolt in raises the pressure going out.

It is also possible a restriction is reducing the water flow at 40 psi. You could try opening the line after the meter and checking for obstructions as discussed in other threads. If the obstruction is before the meter, you are dealing with a monopoly, good luck.

May 10, 2005, 07:02 AM
    I have asked about a pressure regulator and was told that there are not any installed within the house or on the meter.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 10, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Maybe it is time to talk to the builder. The water company may not be so quick to blow him off as they did you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jfischer1
    I have just moved into my new home which was just finished being build 2 weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed about the house is that it has low pressure. First a little information...My new home is located immediately next to a brand new 125 foot water tower that was installed for this subdivision. My water meter is 5/8" and the main line to the house from the meter is 3/4". The house is a single story 3 bedroom 3 bath house with a full basement. When I measure the water pressure at the front hose connection on my house, I get 40 psi. I called the water company and they came out and told me that they showed 50 psi measured on the same connection. I went and bought a new psi gauge and measured again. Still 40 psi even with the new gauge. Now I know that 40 is not that bad, but my last house had over 55 psi and the difference is killing me. My builder told me to install low-pressure shower heads and this would solve my problem. I refuse to do this. Even if I did, the water pressure at the kitchen sink, washer, outside hose connections, etc would still have low pressure. I have taken apart the shower head and remove the "water saver" plastic disc and this helped a little, but not enough.

I have spent many hours reading other posts and doing research and now I am not sure if the problem is low pressure or low flow. How can I tell? I also asked about a larger water meter with thoughts that it might be restricting the flow, but the water company told me that the 5/8" meter should be fine. I am at a loss and not sure what to do now. Should I install a pump to boost the pressure? If so, what exactly do I need? Is the meter and supply line the correct size?

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

As Labman has told you in another site , (I was going to answer first over here in AskMeHelpDesk.com but decided to post on Answerway instead.) the pressure from a 125' water tower at .434 pounds to the foot should be about 57 3/4 PSI when you facter in 8 foot more for the underground service.
    Since you're located next to the water tower there should be no line loss what so ever. I'd be asking some technical here. Like why their pressure gage reads 10 pounds more then the two gages you have.
    And I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall when they attempt to explain a loss of approximately from, (according to whose gage you believe) Over 5 PSI to over 17 PSI from the tower to your house. As far as your builder telling you that installing low pressure shower heads would build the water pressure up in the rest of the house I want a few hits off that joint he smoked just before he told you that.
    You say , "I am not sure if the problem is low pressure or low flow. How can I tell? I also asked about a larger water meter with thoughts that it might be restricting the flow."
    It's not low flow,(volume) simce you're setting right next to the water tower. If it were a volume problem you would have pressure until you began to run out of volume and then the PSI would start to fall. So if it were "low flow" then you would read a high PSI at first falling off as the volume decreased. Increasing the volume, ie: a larger meter, will not give you more pressure. You must realize that all if not most of your fixtures are choked down to 1/4"or 3/8" on the ports of your faucets and the seats of the angle stops. As the4 average house pressure is 45 PSI in most areas you're not all that bad off. However if you really wish more pressure and the utilities company can't give you anything but a song and dance the only thing you can do is install a check valve, ( if you don't already have a backflow preventer at the meter) on the incoming service line behind a small centrifugal "booster" pump and a bladder type pressure tank. That way you can regulate the house pressure yourself.
    I'll post this over at AskmeHelpDesk also just to be sure you receive it. Good luck, Tom

May 10, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Thanks for the clarification on the water flow. As for an explanation of the pressure difference on my gauges vs theirs, I get the answer that my gauges are just wrong and that their's are correct. That answer is just not right, in my opinion.

As far as the pump & tank, could you point me to some examples somewhere on the internet so that I know exactly what you are referring to?
    Eternal Plumber

May 10, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Booster Pump System
    Thanks for the clarification on the water flow. As for an explanation of the pressure difference on my gauges vs theirs, I get the answer that my gauges are just wrong and that their's are correct. That answer is just not right, in my opinion.

As far as the pump & tank, could you point me to some examples somewhere on the internet so that I know exactly what you are referring to?
    Home booster pump systems aren't cheap. Here's a web site to check them out. http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/davpumboossy1.html
    I have more if you're interested. Tom

May 10, 2005, 03:27 PM
    How do you determine what size would be suitable?
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2005, 06:01 AM
    How do you determine what size would be suitable?
    The 1/2 horse system should do it for you. The check valve/backflow preventer is important. If your house develops more pressure then the city main you don't want to lose the house pressure back to the street. Hence the check valve to prevent it. However, be advised that if you install a check valve you might also have to install a expansion tank on the cold water supply to your water heater to prevent the expanding heated water from opening up the T & P valve on the heater. Cheers, Tom

May 11, 2005, 06:06 AM
    Thank you for everything.

It sure is nice to have people like you out there that are willing to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of Copper/pvc inside new home to max pressure from 3,000 gl tank on hill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am building a new home in the country and have a 3000 gallon water tank 75 verticle above my (future) second story. I was going to have either 2" sch 40 pvc or 1 1/4" come down the 160 feet to my home. And then I wanted to know what is the largest copper pipe I could use inside the home to...

Home water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a water pressure gauge and learned that the pressure at two outside faucets on my house is 51 psi. I bought the gauge because I thought our pressure was pretty lousy. For example, if I try to run a lawn sprinkler on the front and back lawns at the same time, the area the...

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

No Water Flow Or Pressure In Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I Do Not Have Hot Water Pressure Or Flow In The Kitchen Sink Also Very Poor Water Flow In Cold Please Help

View more questions Search