Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Who deserves credit for our virtue?
    A lot of what's posted on these boards is devoted to assigning blame for vices that we committ. But sometimes, we actually practice and embody some truly great virtues. When we do that, who (if anyone) deserves credit for it?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Hello:

Virtues, me?? Bwa, ha ha ha.

I'm not wonderful when I give good advice, and I'm not to blame when I give bad advice. I just type. Someone likes it - or doesn't. I don't give it any more thought than that.

excon
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
    LOL OG. Isn't it human nature to blame others for our own faults/defects/actions that have a negative effect, but when we do something good/virtuous, we are the first one's in line to blow our own horns?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 08:18 AM
    The charity that hastens to proclaim its good deeds, ceases to be charity, and is only pride and ostentation.
    William Hutton
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 08:20 AM
    The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion.
    G. K. Chesterton
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    LOL OG. Isn't it human nature to blame others for our own faults/defects/actions that have a negative effect, but when we do something good/virtuous, we are the first one's in line to blow our own horns?
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    The charity that hastens to proclaim its good deeds, ceases to be charity, and is only pride and ostentation.
    William Hutton
    Sure, ostentatiously proclaiming our own "virtue" is a vice (pride), but I'm talking about real virtue. Can we, within ourselves, honestly take any credit for it? Or should we give God, our parents, or the tooth fairy at least part of the credit? What exactly is this "credit" we're taking and giving, anyway?

I posted the question here before I saw this piece about recent research suggesting that virtue is hardwired in our brain like hunger and sex. If it holds up, this conclusion seems like bad news for the doctrine of original sin. I'm not sure what we'd do without it.

A couple of excerpts:
    The results were showing that when the volunteers placed the interests of others before their own, the generosity activated a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food or sex. Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.
    The research enterprise has been viewed with interest by philosophers and theologians, but already some worry that it raises troubling questions. Reducing morality and immorality to brain chemistry -- rather than free will -- might diminish the importance of personal responsibility. Even more important, some wonder whether the very idea of morality is somehow degraded if it turns out to be just another evolutionary tool that nature uses to help species survive and propagate.
    He said his research has found that people all over the world process moral questions in the same way, suggesting that moral thinking is intrinsic to the human brain, rather than a product of culture. It may be useful to think about morality much like language, in that its basic features are hard-wired, Hauser said. Different cultures and religions build on that framework in much the way children in different cultures learn different languages using the same neural machinery.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Saint Francis of Assisi, who said, "For it is in giving that we receive."
    In my own opinion, and keep in mind I am not trying to start an argument nor am I trying to push my beliefs onto anyone, there are natural laws in the universe, that are always in action. When we give, as Saint Francis said, we automatically receive. Be it a blessing from the Angels or from GOD or whatever, we are just naturally enriched within our spirit. It just feels good. There are people that react to that as if they were one of Pavlovs dogs and have to give and give and give but, even people locked up in prisons give to someone, sometime. Even if it is just a camel. They feel the same good feeling or blessing but just on a different level.
    Most people that come here under the guise of needing "help" for a personal problem, probably already know the answer. There is another law of the universe that is always in action. That is the small voice deep within us all that will guide us... if we care to listen.
    That is just my opinion and my opinion only. If you do not agree I don't care, just move along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Business credit--vs-- personal credit [ 1 Answers ]

I have good personal credit---and good business credit--- are they linked at all -- what if the business folds and the credit is not paid off -- will my personal credit suffer

How To GET Credit? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 18 years old and I have no type of credit. I was looking to get a loan so I can pay for some of my college, but I have no clue how to build credit and that's one thing they make sure you have before they give you any of their money, so can anyone help me out?

Getting Credit Where Credit Is Due [ 6 Answers ]

I have a small problem. I have a database that I like, but my boss (URRG):mad: wants to give the database to another est. of ours. I know they are going to need to change certain items, so they are going to need Admin access to the database, but I need a way to be able to stamp my name in it, so...

View more questions Search