Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ems348 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Can a broken tail be fixed?
    I have a 5 month old Pekinese. I accidentally dropped a glass pot lid and it landed about 2 inches from the end of his tail. It caused a small cut, which I know how to take care of. But now the tail does not seem to curl over his back the way it used to. He wags it OK, and does not seem to be in any distress. It does not appear deformed. Has anyone ever had a similar incident? If it was broken, could it be fixed? I know a trip to the vet would be the obvious answer, but if nothing can be done, I really can not afford the expense right now.
    Would appreciate any input if anyone can share.
    Thanks so much.:o
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 26, 2007, 04:12 AM
    This answer has a lot to do with,.
    Blood flow,,
    Nerve damage,,
    Location,.
    Can we pee and poop,.
    If it is not clear whether a partial anal sphincter tone or not, it may be possible to have a test called an electromyogram. The muscles of the anal sphincter and tail can be tested to see if they are receiving any nerve input at all. If they are, there is reasonable potential for recovery. The EMG is a highly specialized test and is not readily available except at practices with a neurology specialty. Referral will probably be necessary. The spinal cord itself does not extend down this far (it typically ends at the level of the fifth lumbar vertebra) so that injuries to the tail do not damage the spinal cord. Because the spinal cord ends so high up, nerves exiting the cord to provide control and sensation to the tail, hind legs, urinary bladder, and large intestine and anus must extend long branches to reach their destinations. When one looks down at these nerves (an aerial view, if you will), these nerves are said to look like a horse's tail and thus this area is called the cauda equina by anatomists. Have I confused you yet? Basically what I am doing is making sure there is X-rays taken to ensure there is no other problems that are overlooked becides the tail. Good news is it's a dog and not a cat, because cats actually need tails.
    Good Luck!
    ems348 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ems348
    I have a 5 month old Pekinese. I accidently dropped a glass pot lid and it landed about 2 inches from the end of his tail. It caused a small cut, which I know how to take care of. But now the tail does not seem to curl over his back the way it used to. He wags it ok, and does not seem to be in any distress. It does not appear deformed. Has anyone ever had a similar incident? If it was broken, could it be fixed? I know a trip to the vet would be the obvious answer, but if nothing can be done, I really can not afford the expense right now.
    Would appreciate any input if anyone can share.
    Thanks so much.:o
    DocWill, thanks for a quick response... but apparently I mislead you as to the location of the injury... it is at the distal end of the tail. Hence, not anywhere near the lumbar area and the vital likes. I truly am concerned for the dog, but am also concerned for his show potential... but it seems like it is getting better, now that it is apparently less sore, he is wagging it more, and at times, it actually falls into position like it used to. What kind of damage could be caused to this area that could be treated? In a worse case scenario, if damage was done and the tail no longer curled over his back as it used to, would it cause any other problems?
    Wouldn't he still be in pain?. and for the record, he is peeing and pooping just fine!
    Thanks again
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 27, 2007, 02:17 AM
    Being able to eliminate is great, that's the biggest concern. Also keep in mind this. Lets use your finger as an example. When you hurt your finger, cut, smashed, break, etc. Doesn't it hurt all the way to your palm? It all hurts due to the fact its primary source of mobility is the palm. Same goes for the tail. So I can't say with out a doubt fairly for you or the puppy if its long term or cosmetic damage. My biggest concern was the ability to eliminate . That's a great sign. As far as " show quality" lmao I have to tell you all of my animals are far from perfect down to my 3 legged male cat named Elizabeth, so I wouldn't know show quality if it hit me in the face. I know what I am qualified at and its medicine an surgical procedures, not breed perfections at all.

All in all an X-ray will only answer exactly the long term outcome.
    Good Luck!
    hammieslove Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
    It could be a dislocation because I slammed my puppies tail in the car door and it was a dislocation and we didn't realize it until a few months later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is tail banding? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I recently inquired about a puppy from several breeders. One of the questions I asked was if there tails were docked ? I had several tell me that they banded there puppies tails and that it caused less trauma than whacking it off at that vet. I know from experience that having a litter...

Fan tail [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Me and my girlfriend have just got a 25 gallon tank and got a couple of fan tail fishes 3 weeks ago. We have just got back and found one dead and the other one is looking ill. We have treated the water for chlorine and have a filter in it which we bought new. I am just wondering what...

Tail on shrimp [ 6 Answers ]

What is the etiquette for eating tail on shrimp?

Hairloss under Labrador's tail [ 9 Answers ]

Good morning, I own a year-old chocolate Lab. She licks under tail constantly which drives me crazy. She has lost all her hair under her tail. She is a beautiful dog, from that front that is, but looking at her hairless anal area is a pretty ugly sight. She has started to sits on her butt and...

Tail back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a sophomore now and I have been a receiver since my first year of football which was only last year. I am a pretty good receiver and played some varsity this year. The problem is I'm 5'9 right now and it seems that my height is peaked at 15 years of age. I don't see many reciever's under...

View more questions Search