Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    accounting senior Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2005, 03:16 PM
    Earnings per share
    I need assistance with calculating basic and diluted earnings per share. I am not understanding what is antidilutive and when to calculate that.

HELP!!
    WSMAcct Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 08:17 PM
    Ditto
    I need the same info. Have you received any responses? :confused:
    L_Breezy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 12:30 AM
    Eps
    Hey, I think this is one of the few things I have a clue about. Basic EPS is calculated using the standard formula...
    (Net Income - Pref. Dividends) / weighted average number of shares.

The weighted average number of shares is affected by stock splits and stock issues and such throughout the year.

Diluted EPS is a what-if EPS considering that anything that any event that COULD bring down the EPS number WILL HAPPEN. So if there are convertible bonds then possibly the conversion of those bonds would bring down the EPS so this is calculated in diluted EPS regardless of whether it happens or not.

So each dilutive item's (convertible bonds, stock options, warrants etc) EPS should be calculated individually and then included with Basic EPS. So if let's say that the conversion of bonds increases net income by $100 and the conversion increases the number of shares by 50 then there is an EPS of $2.00/sh. Obviously if Basic EPS is less than that - say $1.00/sh - then the convertible bonds are anti-dilutive and should not be used in the calculation of diluted EPS because it increases the EPS amount. When figuring out diluted EPS, remember, you want to report the lowest possible amount given the information. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earnings Per Share [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I need help on this homework problem. The stockholder's equity section of Tyachuk Corporation appears below as on December 31, 2004 8% Cumulative preferred stock $50 per value, authorized 100,000 shares, outstanding 90,000 shares                                              ...

Earnings Per Share: Stocks [ 1 Answers ]

I have to do this problem, and I am so confused. Please help if you know about stocks. If I had 370,000 shares of $20 par common stock outstanding. January, 2,000, 8% bonds were issued with maturity value of $1,000 each. To have a better bond sale, I offer a conversion of 50 shares of common...

Earnings per share question [ 1 Answers ]

This is the problem XYZ has 500,000 shares of common stock outstanding throughout 2004. In addition, the corporation has 5,000, 20 year, 7% bonds issued at par in 2002. Each $1,000 bond is convertible into 25 shares of common stock after 09/23/05. During 2004, the corporation earned $600,000...

View more questions Search