Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoffman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Education discipline appeal
    A student in our school anonymously gave the principal a photocopy of a yearbook page in which a student athlete admitted to heavy drinking on more than one occasion. The student was suspended from team games for a few games as per the school's co-curricular code (drinking is strictly forbidden). The parents of the student claim the suspension is not legitimate because the photocopy was not obtained legally. The question is whether the information in the photocopied yearbook page can be used to determine the student's eligibility to play for the team.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
    What has legal got to do with it, he was caught dead to rights where he admitted the heavy drinking.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Since this information was in Yearbook, anyone can view it, right? What is so private about a Yearbook? Nothing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
    If this was in the published yearbook, then its public information and any right to privacy is gone. If this was a proof page that did not make the printed version, it would depend on several factors whether the principal had a right to use the information. However, a school is not a court of law. The rules of evidence do not have to be followed as strictly.

Bottomline in my opinion, is that the only way the principal acted improperly would be if he didn't investigate and confirm what the page said before imposing the suspension.

Also, in my opinion, the parents need a wakeup call. Instead of trying to get their son help, they are trying to weasel out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 05:54 PM
    First remember school policy and procedure is not a court of law. They are not obligated to rules and procedures of courts of law. There is no real "illegal" evidence in a school hearing, unless they want to prosecute in court. Charge him with underage drinking in court.

But they were merely given the evidence, even in a court of law, if they had been given this by a witness ( non police) there is no illegally gained evidnce issue.
    The school did not sneak into his home, open his locker, this was just another student,

So no, there is no legal bearing for the parents case. School should perhaps turn this over to the police for investigation if they parents want to do this type of dance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discipline [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old daughter who we are having a hard time with. She is a talker. Not just any kind of talker, but the kind that NEVER stops. It interferes in everything she does. Other kids are turned off by her because she never stops. She has something to say ALL of the time and about...

Appropriate discipline for out of control 18 year old [ 11 Answers ]

My son is 18, has Aspergers/a developmental delay disorder. Simply put he is chronologically 18, not emotionally. Do to my question, I felt it appropriate to give this information. He is in college, only child left in home with a mom and dad, our home has only a few rules: 1) No drug usage, 2)...

About UK student visa appeal [ 0 Answers ]

Can any 1 have expert knowledge about UK student visas appeal

Education [ 1 Answers ]

What would be an approximate weight of a cubic yard of trash.

View more questions Search