Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baerchen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Attempting To Live With A Felony
    I am currently stuck in a hole job working the front desk for a hotel. I enjoy working in customer service and have 2 years at this job, so I have the experience. The problem is my felony is only 2-3 years old, and when I applied at another hotel chain the corporate office said it needs to be 7 years old, not that the felony is a problem, but that the time it's been since I've been convicted is a problem. I marked the application in that ing box yes, and the only problem is the time that has passed since.. I guess I'm just a little confused as to why the time span poses a problem when the fact that I have one and have had a clean record for 3 years does not. I recently applied at another hotel chain and should hear back from them in a couple of days. Is this 7 year thing something that I'm going to have to deal with until the time has passed? If they're willing to look past it, what difference does it make how long ago it occurred? (the felony was for "attempted possession of a substance alleged to be methamphetamine, and I live in Nebraska)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Hello B:

Nahhh, seven years is just their policy.

It's harder for a felon to break through, so a felon has to try harder. But, you're doing the right things. Keep looking and doing what you're doing - you'll find somebody who values you for you instead of your baggage.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 04:35 PM
    I agree with excon, it is the hotel making that policy, and does not apply to all hotels or hotel chains. One of neighbors works for a local Comfort Inn/Comfort Suites. Her brother worked there also and he had prior felony convictions for drugs. The owners of the hotel looked at what he had to overcome his situation. Best of luck to you. Wishing you great success.
    matthew ferguson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Baerchen
    i am currently stuck in a hole job working the front desk for a hotel. i enjoy working in customer service and have 2 years at this job, so i have the experience. the problem is my felony is only 2-3 years old, and when i applied at another hotel chain the corporate office said it needs to be 7 years old, not that the felony is a problem, but that the time it's been since i've been convicted is a problem. i marked the application in that ing box yes, and the only problem is the time that has passed since.... ? i guess i'm just a little confused as to why the time span poses a problem when the fact that i have one and have had a clean record for 3 years does not. i recently applied at another hotel chain and should hear back from them in a couple of days. is this 7 year thing something that i'm going to have to deal with until the time has passed? if they're willing to look past it, what difference does it make how long ago it occurred? (the felony was for "attempted posession of a substance alledged to be methamphetamine, and i live in Nebraska)
    What positions can I work with a Felony
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew ferguson
    what positions can I work with a Felony
    Hello mat:

You are probably not going to be legally precluded from ANY job you might be qualified for. That means, that pretty much you can work for anybody that will hire you.

excon
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
    The fact that you have a job is great - you broke through the initial barrier. Even if you hate the job, be the perfect employee because your recommendation from that job may be the thing you need to get past trepidations others might have about your felony.

See if there are programs for people in your situations to find work. There are organizations that work at getting former felons into the work force, and with some good work history since your conviction, you might be able to get something at a higher level. Consider getting more job training, too. Hotel work probably will not give you a lot of options for promotion. Could you learn a trade like carpentry or tool and die work? The money is good and you could probably get work as the employers tend to be smaller organizations without so many formal restrictiosn - they may put more weight on how you impress them, and a strong recommendation from the hotel you work at now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 02:58 PM
    The issue is it is their policy, there is nothing that requires it, to them, most likely it is a matter that they want to make sure the criminal behavior is long past for you
    reesetess Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Jul 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Matt,
    Hold on to the job you have and keep looking... They do hold it against you that you are a felon. I know, I have been on the job market for 7 months, and am working with an agency to help me find work. The gentleman who is helping me is also an ex-offender. And it took him a long time to get where he is. But he is there now.
    I am totally qualified for all 50+ positions I have applied for, even he can't believe how bias these companies are.

My felony is a DUI from 2005. Would you not give a recovering alcoholic a job, or is it that you don't have to put it on the application? Until you have been there, people don't understand.

I don't know what your felony is for, that is why you should consult your local job works center. They will tell you who will definitely not hire you, and what you have a chance at.

They will find every excuse in the book to not hire you. It is not fair. And I don't care what anyone has to say. Then of course there are the people who think we deserve it. But they don't know our story , so they don't know a thing. We keep paying no matter what.

Find your local job works Center. If you are still on probation, ask your po if he knows of any services like I found, to help you pave the way.

The only reason I had the jobs I did, is because no background check was done, and everything comes up on it.

Try Non-profit organizations, you really need to work hard at it, and hopefully somehow you will get by your past. I've been looking for 7 months, it may go state by state, but I have tried businesses, grocery stores, retail stores, no responses , or your qualifications don't meet the need of the company.

They will not come out and say no you are a convicted felon. They can't.

Good luck. I know mine has been a struggle and I wish I had fought to keep the job I had but it was a bad environment for me anyway.

But you have stay hopeful, think highly of yourself, and tell yourself, they are lucky to have you for an employee, positive attitude and positive thinking and self-esteem is what it is all about when you are coming from where we are...

Hang in there, and good luck.
    mr09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
    I am in the same situation with a recent felony conviction. Through my faith am I surviving. Not only that, despite numerous obstacles around me, I shall overcome this tremendous adversity.

My best advice is: Let go, Let God.

Peace with you.
    cmckean1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Aug 18, 2009, 02:07 AM
    Usually companies set laws against crimes that are potentially foreseeable within the company. So if you were to get caught selling methamphetamines to customers the company would be liable to a law suit. The corporation is not against you, they are just protecting their assets against vicious lawyers. Seven years is the legal time frame an employer is allowed to use against you for hiring purposes. That is why seven years is standard.

Usually companies set laws against crimes that are potentially foreseeable within the company. So if you were to get caught selling methamphetamines to customers the company would be liable to a law suit. The corporation is not against you, they are just protecting their assets against vicious lawyers. Seven years is the legal time frame an employer is allowed to use against you for hiring purposes. That is why seven years is standard.

Aug 18, 2009, 02:08 AM

Go to school while you work that front desk and you can transfer to another hotel at a higher pay in about four years.
    ceolamayo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Baerchen View Post
    i am currently stuck in a hole job working the front desk for a hotel. i enjoy working in customer service and have 2 years at this job, so i have the experience. the problem is my felony is only 2-3 years old, and when i applied at another hotel chain the corporate office said it needs to be 7 years old, not that the felony is a problem, but that the time it's been since i've been convicted is a problem. i marked the application in that ing box yes, and the only problem is the time that has passed since.... ? i guess i'm just a little confused as to why the time span poses a problem when the fact that i have one and have had a clean record for 3 years does not. i recently applied at another hotel chain and should hear back from them in a couple of days. is this 7 year thing something that i'm going to have to deal with until the time has passed? if they're willing to look past it, what difference does it make how long ago it occurred? (the felony was for "attempted posession of a substance alledged to be methamphetamine, and i live in Nebraska)
    I know what you are talking about I have a felony also and I could tell you first hand that for some jobs it does not matter if your felony in 15 years old it still will hold you back. I know you want to change jobs but be happy that you can say you have a job my felony in 7 years old and from the time I got it I have been going thought hell trying to start over I haven't worked a permanent job in seven years all because of my charge of attempted child abuse I know it sounds bad but if I was a bad mother my childran would not be with me now I am a single mother of four and before this stuff I was a nurse but enough of all of this... I hope and pray that things would change for the both of us...
    johndoesnt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2011, 12:57 PM
    You're lucky to have any job. There are a lot of people who have stayed on the right side of the law who can't find a job in this economy... I respect that you are trying to be a better person and all but you did choose to do the wrong that at some point. Be thankful for the work that you do have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Felony for attempting to possess a controlled substance [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Florida can you be bonded if you have a felony for attempting to possess a control substance with fraud

Found warrant for me in TX, I live in FL 2nd degree Felony, what should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I found out I have a warrant in the great state of TX. I am currently living in FL. I am a productive citizen in FL. I am a mom to 3 wonderful children. I am currently jumping through hoops set before me by the great state of FL to get custody of my children back. I sent my kids from TX to FL...

Computer Freezes when attempting log on [ 2 Answers ]

The issue is with an office computer with Windows XP. All computers are networked. This one computer has been fine up to yesterday. It would first freeze at the boot screen. I restored factory settings and it now makes it all the way to the log in screen. When u press ctrl-alt-delete to log in, it...

Attempting to install ceiling fan in older house [ 6 Answers ]

I'm attempting to install a Hampton Bay 42" ceiling fan but I'm having some weirdness with the house wires. House wires are: 2 white (attached to current light fixture) 1 red (attached to current light fixture) 2 black (capped off) The ceiling fan has the following wires: 1 black (fan...

View more questions Search