Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

May 25, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Alternative to sweating copper
    I have to replace a shower fixture in the bathroom wall. I've done some sweating before with decent results but this is the first time that I'd be doing it in a plaster & lathe wall. I'm not too wild about burning my house down so I'm looking for an alternative. I don't want to try the paste junk, I've never heard anything good about that stuff. I heard somewhere about a tool that crimps a ring around the pipe joint and eliminates the need to sweat it. This sounds like a great solution but has anyone heard about this? How good does it work? How about places to rent/buy the tool?

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Wouldn't use crimp, Maybe CPVC, CPVC Pipe and CPVC glue

May 25, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Can I go from copper to CPVC?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    I have to replace a shower fixture in the bathroom wall. I've done some sweating before with decent results but this is the first time that I'd be doing it in a plaster & lathe wall. I'm not too wild about burning my house down so I'm looking for an alternative. I don't want to try the paste junk, I've never heard anything good about that stuff. I heard somewhere about a tool that crimps a ring around the pipe joint and eliminates the need to sweat it. This sounds like a great solution but has anyone heard about this? How good does it work? How about places to rent/buy the tool?

Thanks.
    The Ridgid crimping tool uses proprietary fittings and it wouldn't be cost effective to buy one.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe they are available to rent.

If you already have copper plumbed to the existing shower valve, I'd suggest you go with the Cash Acme Shark Bite fittings.

I'm not a big fan of them myself, but others have used them with good results.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Yes you can go from copper to CPVS, Have to sweat them on, from there its glue all the way. Don't forget the cleaner. Screw the CPVC into the sweated connector.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Yes you can go from copper to CPVS, Have to sweat them on, from there its glue all the way. Don't forget the cleaner. Screw the CPVC into the sweated connector.
    Let me add a bit here. The CPCV "cleaner" is called primer. If you go with a,(non-solder) Sharkbite coupling a 3/4 X 1/2" reducing coupling,(see image) should get you by since the OD on copper 1/2"= 5/8ths and the OD on 1/2" CPVC=7/8ths. Don't forget to Teflon Tape the threads. Good luck, Tom

May 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Thanks for the info!
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 05:53 AM
    They make CPVC for exact connection sizes, I have never seen Sharkbite, Doesn't
    Mean they are not better or do not work. See what's in your area.
    Don't know of any problems with CPVC.
    Does Sharkbite work with CPVC?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    They make CPVC fo exact connection sizes, I have never seen Sharkbite, Doesn't
    mean they are not better or do not work. See whats in your area.
    Don't know of any problems with CPVC.
    Does Sharkbite work with CPVC?
    Sharkbite will work with plastic including Pex Systems. To find out more about
    Sharkbite fittings click on; Cash Acme - Products - SharkBite® Connection System
    Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
    I think what I used was another brand called Shark Tooth. Slick, slick, slick. Expensive though, $9 for a 3/4'' tee at a plumbing supply. Maybe less at Ace Hardware. Very DIY friendly. Just make sure there are no burrs on the pipe and slide it into the fitting, done.

May 29, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Based on what I read on the Sharkbite web site they looked very DIY friendly and frankly if I have to spend $9 for a connector it's far better than trying to sweat everything inside the wall. Now I just need to find where I can get them... this is a late fall/winter project so I have plenty of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sweating copper [ 10 Answers ]

Howdy, I was at the local big box store and saw something that called it self an alternative to sweating copper. It was a liquid called Just For Copper. Being a geek and interested in things that can make my home improvement life easier, I thought I would give it a try. Well, I am not...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

Sweating copper pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I understand that you flux the outside and inside of copper pipe/elbow fitting What about copper pipe using a male brass fitting? Do you flux the INSIDE of the copper pipe and the brass male fitting? Before attempting to heat/solder. I need to replace a water pressure relief valve and...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Sweating [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem where my sweat really smells. Not a body odour smell, but a very stale smell. I bath every day, use anti persperant, but its some times out of control! My wife has to change and wash the bed sheets at least three to four times a week cause it's that bad, any ideas??

View more questions Search