Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toycut Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Working with live wires
    Under what circumstances is it possible to touch a "hot wire" with your bare hands without getting "zapped"?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 25, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Lets start by saying don't try this at home. If you are totally insulated you won't become a circuit and no zap. Rubber soled shoes add some insulation but again, don't try this on yourself.
    toycut Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    The worker must be at the same potential as the hot conductor. Usually standing on a dry rubber mat will work and don't lean against or touch anything.

Best to turn off power cause even if you don't, theres a good chance the hot will touch a tool that is grounded and trip anyhow.
    Of course this is for hypothetical use only.. But in a situation where u couldn't turn off the power.. So standing on a rubber mat with rubber soled shoes, one could uninsulate a "hot wire" and attach another wire to that hot wire?

Would the tools used be a factor for being "zapped"?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
    I Most always work on live circuits, To me it Take time, Work needs to stop. Thing need to be reset. I have good rubber shoes. Don't have a tack in your shoe.
    Something's Can't be shut down.
    Have changed out Meter can Live. Don't recommend to anyone.
    Insulate anything metal you may come in contact with, insulate your tools to keep from having metal to metal short.
    I have a Leatherman tool(all metal) I regularly use on live circuits. Changing out a grounded recpticle:
    1) Remove Ground FIRST, Remove hot and neutral.
    2) Connect Hot and Neutral
    3) Connect Ground LAST
    The key is don't come in contact with difference of potentials(Hot and ground or hot and hot of another phase.
    Bird's can sit on High Voltage Line, because they are only on 1 Hot.
    If you are not comfortable with electricity, Don't try it, doesn't hurt to understand.
    My answers are hypothetical.
    Learnfrommyways Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
    U get zapped only problem is your hand will get stuck but just strech your fingers out and then just turn your hand the other side (the side with your nuckles)and I don't know how but you might know if its hot or not I wouldn't say yes or no but that is some information
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Learnfrommyways
    u get zapped only problem is ur hand will get stuck but just strech ur fingers out and then just turn ur hand the other side (the side with ur nuckles)and idk how but u might know if its hot or not i wouldnt say yes or no but that is some information
    A) This is not answering the original (OVER one year old) question as asked. When someone gets a shock you do not always get "stuck".
    It IS most certainly possible to touch a live wire and not get shocked. I will NOT go into here as it is not appropriate. All I will say is "bird on a wire".

B) It is NEVER safe or smart for ANY DIY'er to work on ANYTHING live!!

C) This is a grown up message board. Typing in IM speak is annoying and hard to read, and it makes you look 13 years old.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Boy,that didn't work. Should read.

"Not only lose the text speak, learn sentence structure, capitalization and punctuation."

Sep 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    A) This is not answering the original (OVER one year old) question as asked. When someone gets a shock you do not always get "stuck".
    It IS most certainly possible to touch a live wire and not get shocked. I will NOT go into here as it is not appropriate. All I will say is "bird on a wire".

B) It is NEVER safe or smart for ANY DIY'er to work on ANYTHING live!!!

C) This is a grown up message board. Typing in IM speak is annoying and hard to read, and it makes you look 13 years old.

Ok,"Smart people as you think."First of all,I know why.Second of all, it's a habbit.Third of all,WHO CARES? Also I can do what ever I want and so what if it makes me sound thirteen that's calling me young, and since you guys care so much on being proper and punctual.Heres a news flash in a sentence "proper" is never writing the actual numbers always writing it in word form unless its("213,346,896") in some sentence.Its 100 and up,so umm go get yourself a new fifth grade teacher because that exactly where your going, this girl is done with Law School.:D :) :cool:

Sep 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Let me add that you would also do well to learn to use a dictionary and spell check. I would also like to reinterate that you should learn proper punctuation. Pay particular attention to the use quotes, the use of the comma and the spacing before the beginning of a sentence.
    There are two rules about the writing of numbers. One rule is to spell out numbers up to nine and use numerals for 10 and above. The other is to spell out numbers up to ninety nine and use numerals for 100 and above. Of course, that may have been what you intended to say but I can't tell because of your poor sentence structure.

"Also I can do what ever I want" attitude, also reflects a mental age of about 13.

Sep 16, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Ok fine but ill try to wrie correctly but my key board sucks and well unless I'm writing on word power or sheet of paper Im like this and I can't help it... so soorrrryyyy for being like a 13 yr I mean year old u need to learn text speaks it saves time in my busy schedule

Sep 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
    You don't have a busy schedule, you are just lazy.

Sep 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    You don't have a busy schedule, you are just lazy.
    +1!!

No kidding! At a computer keyboard no less.
    I can even type in full words on my Blackberry just fine. I don't need IM speak for that either.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Stanforty... I almost always agree with you... but this time you insulted 13 year olds by comparison.

Sep 17, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound
    Stanforty....I almost always agree with you.....but this time you insulted 13 year olds by comparison.
    You know, I never thought of that.
    I apologize. ;)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2008, 04:06 AM
    I don't think you are thirteen, I do believe you could be a lawyer?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Nope, she can't be a lawyer. First of all, there are no Latin words to duly impress us with her knowledge. Second, while she does appear to be arrogant enough, she also appears to be a petulant teenager. Third, there is no attempt by the lady to negotiate her position. Nope, not a Lawyer. Doctor or a late twelve or early thirteen year old, self important gal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Buying a coop to live in NJ working in NYc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am in the process of purchasing my first home (co-op) in NJ with my wife. We currently live in NY and work in NY. How will taxes affect us for 2005 file? Will we have to pay both NJ and NY taxes? The property offers a 67% deductible should we expect to pay more or less by living in NJ and...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search