Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 08:10 AM
    ITIN delay and State tax
    I had applied for my ITIN along with my husband's W2 late in March and have not received it till date. Should I apply for an extension for State taxes, if I expect a refund from them?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Most states do NOT require an extension if you filed your federal tax return prior to 18 April 2007.

There ARE exceptions to that rule (Delaware comes to mind), but if you are entitled to a refund, no penalties will be access if you file late.
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Thanks a lot for your help!

I just called up the IRS and they told me that my ITIN was mailed to me on 4th May. I guess the postal service has got delayed. I took my ITIN over the phone. Can I file the state taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 26, 2007, 07:18 AM
    If you have the ITIN, then, yes, file the state tax return with that ITIN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File State tax without ITIN for spouse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi , Iam here with L1B visa and my family joined here in Apr last year 2006 I have applied for ITIN for them, but I am yet to recive that. In case if I cannot get ITIN by Apr 15, then How do I file state tax. Please advice.

Georgia state tax without ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I have had applied for my spouse's ITIN with my federal taxes about 4 weeks back. I have not received my spouse's ITIN yet. Do I file an extension for the GA state tax? Or do I file GA state tax stating "ITIN applied for" just below the SSN place holder in the form? I am on H1B and filing...

State Tax & ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to submit W-7 for and my federal tax to get the ITIN for my spouse and kids. IRS site says that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get the ITIN no. If I will not receive ITIN no in time then what should I do to file my State Tax?

Have applied for ITIN but how to file state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have applied for ITIN for my spouse with my federal tax. Last year I had income from California and New Jersey. IN NJ they ask me to send copies of W7 form and federal taxes with NJ tax return. But I am not sure about California? Can I do same thing with California return? Thanks for...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search