Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 4, 2003, 05:58 PM
    Power supply fan broken; how long before it melts?
    I just noticed that the fan in my power supply is not working. After my computer is on for a while, the back of the power supply gets very warm... but my computer works fine. :D

It has been broken for at least three weeks, possibly much longer. I am not keeping it running all the time, but I do have it on sometimes for a few hours -- but again, there don't seem to be any problems.

It is a pentium 133 and not really worth the price of a new power supply... I don't want to spend more than the computer is worth to get a new power supply, but I don't want my processor to melt down either.

How long have I got left? How risky is it to run with a broken fan?

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    ~psi42
    quickshot23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2003, 02:54 PM
    power supply fan broken; how long before it me
    Your CPU will not die with a power supply fan not working... the worst that would happen would be the computer would shut down and your power supply would die... besides the fact, a P133 is quite slow to today's standards maybe a complete computer upgrade is an ideal decision to go with? Just my opinion
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 5, 2003, 09:10 PM
    power supply fan broken; how long before it me
    Thanks for the info.

Anyway I found a good PSU for $5, and so now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Just so you know, I do have a better system than a P133 :), it's just that I do have a use for this old thing.

Thanks again,
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom power supply [ 6 Answers ]

Have a two story townhouse with two and 1/2 baths. Have been trying to find a way to track the power source for the bathroom outlets. Each bath has an outlet but there is no power at this time. Used to work. Have tried opening switchplates and tracking the jumper wires to outlets, but none seem to...

Power supply replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bad 250 watt power supply in a dell dimension 4600. Can I replace it with a 350 watt PS?

Power supply and sys board/cpu [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use a power supply that says "for pentium 4" with a pcchips board and an AMD sempron 2700? Supply is a 400.

Computer Power Supply [ 9 Answers ]

Hey peepz! I recently noticed that ma new computer overheats often, which is starting to worry me slightly :eek: . I was told that it could be the power supply unit which is 250V. I have the following specs... 3400+ 64 AMD Processor MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard 1024MB RAM ATI...

CD rom power supply circuit [ 0 Answers ]

I want to make a power supply for the Cd rom Indiviual... please I need some guidance about it... I desperately need a circuit diagram for it... hope I will see some replies as soon as possible... Thanks

View more questions Search