Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Shocking and bizarre treatment,
    Lets see how many ideas you all come up with. Keep in mind all the treatments standardly used have unusual answers.

Your cat drank a small amount of antifreeze yesterday. What do I do?

My golden is 85 pounds an he eats anything, about an hour ago he knocked over over his biscuit jar witch is clear glass, an we saw him swallow some. What do I do?

You will laff at the procedure of each of these case, both were actual situations for me on Monday. Good Luck.

DocWill

May 24, 2007, 01:36 PM
    If it wasn't my name asking all of you could answer in a heartbeat, lmao just take a guess, my dog an cat are dying an need you!

Not actually dying just an example,

I figgered I better mention that because you know there will be one person to freak out over lack of reading an stay focused on the dying part, lol
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 02:58 PM
    I know there are medicines to give an animal that will cause them to throw up the antifreeze, drugs to give to counteract the effects of antifreeze, and to stabilize the animal with intravenous solutions. Antifreeze works faster on cats than dogs so people need to be mindful of their pet. Just a tsp of antifreeze can kill an eight pound cat.

About the dog swallowing glass. I actually had a dog once that did that, in fact he would have swallowed anything that did not swallow him. I was instructed to take cotton balls and soak them in half and half and then feed the balls to my dog. I did that and whisked him to the vet.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 03:01 PM
    I've always heard that the answer for antifreeze is grain alcohol. From what I understand, the antifreeze itself is not toxic, but the compounds it breaks down into in the liver are. And the liver will preferentially deal with alcohol before antifreeze, so you pump the animal full of alcohol so that the body can excrete the antifreeze in an unaltered form.

But still, it's best to go to the vet and not try this at home!

May 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
    WTG SHY!!
    Very good plan, although I use a/d wet food to decrease my chances of an allergic reaction the dog may have to lactates and excessive volume of calcium. The chances are slim these things can acquire, but the last thing I need is 2 issues rather than the original reason for the visit.

WTG Froggieeeeeeee
    Intravenous vodka is the silly sounding treatment to and potentially tummy meds and antibiotics pending my lab work results!!

Good Job!
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 05:37 AM
    The first thing I wuld do is shove liquid charcal directly into its stomach then take it to the vets for treatment,

I always have liquid charcoal lying around here as I use it on the birds , so would tube it down their,

The charcoal will bind the antifreeze and draw out chemicals, then it allows more time to get to the vet and sort the problem out... make the animal throw up and give a tablet to stp the chemical bieng broken down so it will wee ut all poisons without them bieng broke down

I don't know hw it is done in the usa or of the other methods but charcoal wuld be my first pint of call

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orthodontic treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Dentist Is Orthodontic treatment recommended on physically/Mentally disabled persons?Considering there´s no pain nor decayed teeth,Just a twisted left incisor upper Jaw (6mm space missing)and dental hygiene is good!I am asking this because am scared of the psychological impact of long time...

Bizarre movie from the 80s [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if it was a horror movie or not. It seemed scary to me, however I was about 8 or 9 years old when I saw it. It was about teenagers at summer camp that decided to lead a revolt and take the counselors hostage. It started almost innocent (for fun) and then they ended up turning on...

View more questions Search