Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    account101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Explaining Net Profit
    Hi,

I work for a Sales company. And we pay our managers a bonus of 10% on the net profit of their divisions. (Accrual Accounting... and corporate costs are allocated to the divisions).

But they are not accounting oriented people, so one of their problems understanding is if they get paid 10% of their net profit for their division, how do I explain in layman's terms that the other 90% of net profit is not going to the owners.

It's easy to explain when one of the divisions is negative, does anyone know how to properly explain it so they will understand (even if all divisions are profitable) that 90% is not going to the owners. (IE, there are fixed assets to pay for, etc, etc).

Thanks

Ken
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 25, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Well, from what I read the managers get paid a fixed rate (paid by hours or yearly salary) and they get a bonus of 10% of net sales profit from their division? Just tell them that they get a bonus off how much they sell or however their division gets their profit; the more profit they earn the higher the bonus they receive will become. Since they get an income from hours or fixed salary its just a bonus from their hard work and tell them that :D. Hope this helps.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
    A simple Income Statement would be:

Sales 100,000
    Less: Expenses related directly to the sales (also known as Cost of Goods Sold) 25,000

Gross Profit = Sales – COGS = 75,000 (this is what they get 10% of)

Then there are the rest of the expenses:
    Bonus to the managers (10% of 75,000 which is 7,500)
    Rent Expense 5,000
    Utilities 2,500

Total Other expenses = 7,500 + 2,500 + 5,000 = 15,000

Therefore….we now have:
    Gross Profit 75,000
    Less: Other Expenses 15,000
    Net Income Before Taxes 60,000 (the owners would then pay taxes on the 60,000 and keep the rest for themselves, or reinvest in the business, or whatever)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Net sales, cost of goods, net profit [ 2 Answers ]

Les Fleurs, a boutique in Paris, France, had the following accounts in its accounting records at December 31, 20X2 (amounts in Euros, denoted as "E") Purchases………………... E250,000 Freight In……………… E8,000 Sales discounts…………. 4,000 Purchase returns…….. 7,000 Inventory Sales…………………. ...

Explaining Telecommunications [ 2 Answers ]

What would you say to someone who is not technically savvy in order to explain how a general model of telecommunications works?

Net Income/ Net Loss [ 2 Answers ]

How does an employer calculate his or her payroll tax deduction for net income or net loss?

Divorce, relocation, and explaining it to child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband told me this week that he would like to file for divorce. This is unexpected to me as I thought we were 'working' on our marriage. He is scheduled to move across the united states January 1 for a new position within his company and we have a 3 year old son together (he will be 4 in...

View more questions Search