Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simpsonhill1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2005, 08:56 PM
    I need help please
    What could be my problem? When I try to open my computer,recycle,briefcase,documents and internet explorer I get this answer (this file doesn't have a program associated with it for porming this action. Create an association in my computer by clicking view and clicking folder options. If anyone can help thank-you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2005, 05:42 AM
    That's the problem, you somehow lost some of your associations. Unfortunately it looks like it's the big one for executable files. The best way to restore that is to either do a System Restore to a time before this started happening or to reinstall your Windows.

P.S. this is a software or Operating system problem, not hardware.
    spanky Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 08:02 PM
    Computer help
    Help. What does immountable -boot volume mean? My computer is not working . I have a dell system. I was told I make have a vires. How can I fix this? Thank :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2005, 04:07 AM
    I don't often say this here but I believe you are in a situation where you need to either contact Dell tech support (though I doubt they may can help you in this situation) or bring your computer to a tech support place in your area. There are also many good freelance tech support people in many cities that will come to your house - ask your friends for references.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2005, 04:07 AM
    File Associations
    Hi, simpsonhill,
    Another post suggested doing a System Restore. If you don't know much about it, here is a link with step-by-step instructions to do that.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...01189&seqNum=1

I agree that it will probably fix all the File Associations for you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2005, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    Help. what does immountable -boot volume mean? my computer is not working . i have a dell system. i was told I make have a vires. how can i fix this? thank :(
    Spanky,
    An Unmountable boot volume means that your boot disk is damaged and can't be read by the PC. Most likely it will need to be replaced. If the system is still under warranty, contact Dell.

Its possible, but not likely that you have a virus. But at this point it would be better to have a tech look at it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 26, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Spanky
    As Scott has said it could be a bad disc or the boot.ini file has become corrupt.

Try this first:

When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.

So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
    You will get a dos prompt
    Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
    When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
    "Y" and enter at the prompt
    Then type "exit" and hit enter
    The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
    Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
    When done type "exit" and hit enter.
    This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

If all that fails then you'll have to replace the drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search