Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VET1100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 08:57 AM
    14 yr old dog won't eat
    Is there anything I can do to get my 14 year old Giant Schnauzer to eat? She has lost so much weight, she is almost bones. Any help or sugesstion will be appreciated.
    KC
    kkwright Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2007, 09:11 AM
    You need to figure out WHY she isn't eating. Is her tummy upset? Are her teeth OK? 14 is pretty old for a dog. It may be her way of letting go. Sounds to me like you need to get her to the vet.
    VET1100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I think you're right about the 'letting go' part. She has excellent teeh and does not seem to be in any pain. I was fixing her special food she especially liked, chicken and veggies, even chicken soup, she won't even touch dog food any more. But she has lost a great deal of weight and the second she shows any sign of distress, I will take her in, but I know already what they will say. Thanks for your input. It helps me to vent, I guess I already know what's coming. It's just hard. She's part of our family, all of our pets are.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Go to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 Don't give up on her. When my 12 year old Lab wouldn't eat, I took her to the vet and he had her back to normal in days. It may be time, or just an infection that can be cleared up.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Please take her to your local animal hospital
    gg2llucas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vet1100 View Post
    i think you're right about the 'letting go' part. She has excellent teeh and does not seem to be in any pain. I was fixing her special food she especially liked, chicken and veggies, even chicken soup, she won't even touch dog food any more. But she has lost a great deal of weight and the second she shows any sign of distress, i will take her in, but i know already what they will say. Thanks for your input. It helps me to vent, i guess i already know what's coming. It's just hard. She's part of our family, all of our pets are.
    My heart breaks for you - I have a 15 year old yorkie that also won't eat - I also have tried cooking all kinds of healthy food for her and if she eats anything I have to finger food her - I will try anything but like you I feel she is shutting down and it is hard to deal with. She seems to feel good but she also is losing weight. I also can't put her to sleep until she appears to be having troubles but I think I will take her to the vet just to make sure there isn't something I can do. She is my family. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

My dog won't eat [ 6 Answers ]

I rescued a Staff from Battersea Dogs home a few weeks ago now, and he just doesn't want to eat!! He seems really happy in his new home, but is just not bothered by food. I'll put his breakfast out in the morning before I go to work and it's still there at lunch time. In the evening, he'll pick at...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

My dog won't eat! [ 6 Answers ]

So, My dog won't eat! I've tried every brand of hard and soft. He will eat one type but the next day, he turn his face. I tried making him some rice and chicken. He ate that but then wouldn't touch it. He has lost a bit of weight. Does anybody know what I should do? :confused: ...

Old dog won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

I've been reading through old postings on this topic, but I still don't feel like I know what's going on. I have a 12 year old lab who has not been eating normally for about a week now. At first he would sniff his dry kibble and walk away. This lasted for a day or two, so I changed his food. ...

View more questions Search