Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k7k7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Broken oil dipstick
    I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra. The plastic handle on the oil dipstick broke off. Now the remaining part of the dipstick is stuck deep down in the oil tube; at least 12 inches down. Don't know why the manufacturers would make the dipstick handle out of plastic...

Anyway... I've tried different methods of trying to get the dipstick out of the tube:

1. I put a dab of krazy glue at the end of a wooden dowel rod and stuck it down the tube, hoping it would adhere to the broken dipstick so I can yank it out... This didn't work

2. Tried straightening out a copper hanger and heating one end of it and inserting it down the tube to get the dipstick out... This didn't work either.

3. Tried placing a vacuum nozzle over tube hoping the stick would be sucked out... Didn't work. It's too far down and STUCK.

Don't know what else to to do...

More than likely I'll have to go to a car repair shop to get the dipstick out however I'm reluctant to do this because it will probably be very costly.

If anyone has anymore suggestions of what else can be done to get the dipstick out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 10:24 PM
    I'm sorry to say but you may have to take this to a mechanic, as for why they make it out of plastic? Who knows? My 2006 chevy service van has now had the dipstick tube replaced 3 times, it keeps breaking off at the block, vibration I guess. Anyway, Goodluck, maybe someone will have a better idea of what you may be able to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved...

This is broken. [ 1 Answers ]

I got this idea from a magazine. Go to this link: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-5/qid=1169914582/ref=sr_1_5/601-4486323-2759321?ie=UTF8&asin=B000JZ8A1M. Scroll down and click on "features". Read what it says. Then click on "Description" and read what it says. It's sort of stupid...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Broken up [ 4 Answers ]

:-[ my boyfriend and I just broke up after 6 months.

View more questions Search