Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHrappstead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Puppy got into Roundup.
    Hi, the family puppy which is a Golden Retriever/Lab/Shepard X found an empty container of roundup out on my parents farm. My dad does not know where she found it, but he caught her chewing on it, and yelled at her.

She's 10 months old now, and he said that she was throwing up and wouldn't eat for a whole day and he said that she's gagging. He said she ate today, but she's still throwing up.

My dad thinks she'll be fine, I on the otherhand am really worried. I think she needs to go to the vet?

Any suggestions?
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! And hurryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, an in that hurry take the bottle she was chewing on, I like to have a sample of the suspected foreign body to compare contrast while reading the radiograph. If no Vet is available tonight, do not give anything else by mouth. This means ANYTHING. I will explain why in a minute, while you are viewing this, I am fearful of an obstruction in the bowel. The chemical it self isn't as much of a concern, at the present. Before I respond again, Pet Poison Control Phone Number is 18002136680.

DocWill
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 09:06 PM
    I think having gone that long, you can wait until morning to call the vet. I can't say how serious this is, but if the dog is still sick the second day, it can't be good. Be a good question for our new member crusty_crotch_paper to answer.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Oops, he already did. Chewed off chunks of the bottle are a serious problem.

May 23, 2007, 09:25 PM
    When a dog starts vomiting, it usually leads too much more series health issues then the original cause to vomit. There is a constant volume of fluids stored on the tummy. Lets say the dog vomits that results in loss of required fluid on his tummy. Now his body has to replace it, as its being replaced each time this eliminated crucial electrolytes in the body for energy. Also excessive vomiting promotes more vomiting that leads to pancreatic stress,tiny vessels bleeding to the stomach lining and one very costly visit to get all that mess sorted out when all they had to do was pick up the food an water, confine him to rest for at least 8 hours of vomit free activity. Followed only by ice chips or cube to lick to wet the whistle, to insure no further vomiting to resume.

May 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Then again with out viewing the radiograph for obvious gassy patterns and inflamed bowel, I would offer a barium series to ensure that an obstruction is the problem. If the dog has good color and walks around willfully I would check on him for obvious abd. Swelling/bloating periodically and see she is taking to the Vet in the morning. Help stop the vomiting via, NOTHING ORAL.

Good Luck
    DocWill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a puppy that is 16 weeks, she has very dry skin I would like to know what kind of shampoo to use she has black fur and she looks white now with all the dry skin please help.

Help My Puppy! [ 5 Answers ]

I adopted a 14 week old puppy about 2 weeks ago. He was fine until about a couple days ago I noticed his front legs bend inward. I thought it was normal at first because of his crossbreeds between a boxer and german shepherd. But as I watched him walk and play I was concerned. You know how a normal...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search