Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nfnicole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Masitis in goats
    I have a goat that had twin kids about 3 years ago. She dried up successfully without problem. Almost a year ago she developed a swollen udder. Much like mastitis would look. Unfortunately the goat is basically wild and I am not able to milk her and see what comes out. I am wondering Can a "dry goat" get mastitis?? And what sedative can I easily give her preferably by mouth so that I can have an easier time treating her??
    I would really appreciate help!
    Nicole
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 26, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Mastitis (Inflammation of the Breasts) is the correct spelling
    Normal nursing glands are soft and enlarged. Diseased glands are red, hard, and painful. In general,most do not act sick; the disease is confined to the mammary tissue. May be sore and discourage from nursing; however, it is important to keep nursing the affected glands. This is not harmful and helps flush out the infected material. Hot packing may be helpful. That is if in fact what is wrong, I can't see it from here,, Sorry. With out an exam of any vet, and being unable to handel the goat, how is one to medicate the animal?
    This sounds fun already!
    nfnicole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Thank you for your response. If my goat does not have mastitis I can not imagion what she has. I am just confused as to why she would get mastitis after being dry for well over 2 years now. Does anyone have any sugeestions? From what I understand mastitis in goats is a pretty challenging thing to diagnose how to treat-especially when you can not just touch them at will. I would appreciate any suggestions; obviously I need to get a vet involved. I am still trying to figure out the best way to catch her and be able to catch her repeatedly to treat.
    Thanks,Nicole
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Small pen setups work well with molasses alfalfa treats. Most goats love the treats, but before I tried all that sample the treats to make sure she likes them. With out having a vet involved its going to be hard regardless. I have also used Binoculars in my own practice, to view hard to reach animals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to tame goats [ 9 Answers ]

We recently bought a Boer cross momma and her two babies. The kids are approximately 8 weeks old. I have two daughters who want nothing more than to love on them and play with them but the kids keep taking off! We bring treats and momma is fine but babies still pretty skittish. Any ideas?

Goats [ 1 Answers ]

Can you over feed a goat kid? The reason I ask is because I have one that it seems like he eats constantly and his stomach keeps on growing but the rest him seems to be staying small. Am I feeding him the right feed or should I be doing something different?:( I feel really bad about this and I...

Anybody know about goats? [ 1 Answers ]

I am very concerned about my goat. After being pregnant at least two weeks longer than the normal gestation period, she finally delivered one live baby and one long-dead baby this morning. She'd gotten absolutely huge. Massive. I'm pretty sure she has an infection, but there are no vets out here...

View more questions Search