Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnswerPlease Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Fence Line
    Hello,
    I have a question about a fence line. I bought my house 2 years ago and there was an old wooded fence already in place that I hadn't gotten around to replacing because I've been working on other projects. The fence is in the back yard and goes to the back corner of the house. My new, bully neighbor decided he wanted to put up a fence all the way around his house. He brought it to the front of his house but was forced to move it in about 1 foot from my fence because of a shared drain pipe that runs down the middle of our property line starting about 1 foot from the back corner of the house that drains out to the street. My question is can I remove my fence and put up a new front piece that extends from the back corner of my house to his fence. I would just take the fence down but he is already stating to plant flowers on "my side" of his fence on that one foot piece of property that he lost all the way down to where my existing fence is, so I don't want him in by back yard gardening. I can't even talk to the guy because he already blew up at me once threating me.

Thanks in advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
    If you have a fence on your property, you may tear it down, The new fence will have to meet current zoning rules and all legal set backs of fences. Also have you a current survey to know where you property line is for sure.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

May 24, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Fences are shared between neighbors and so should the cost. As a matter, in Canada, when one neighbor decides to replace the fence, the other neighbor must share in the cost.

The fact that your neighbor put up a new fence AND shortchange himself a foot of real estate has made him rightfully mad at you.

If I were you, I'd meet with him and offer to pay half for the fence. I'd also offer to remove the old fence that must be an eyesore. I think the foot of realestate that he's lost (probably forever) unless he moves the new fence is well worth your money!
    AnswerPlease Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Thanks for your responses. I did plan to offer him money w/out him even asking. The thing is, he is really crazy and I don't even want to approach him. He's already been in two other altercations with other neighbors on the street because of his foul mouth and his blatten disregard for the people that live around him. Just two days ago I woke up to find that the 5 foot piece of grass between our driveways was split down the middle with black plastic garden edging and some sort of poison poured on my side of it killing the grass (I guess he is afraid of weeds crawling up on his grass). My wife is actually afraid to leave the house when he is outside.
    Anyway, thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Dark crease line in the back of neck line [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew, now an adult has a dark crease line in the back of his neck. It really bothers me because it looks like he has a necklace on from behind but I doesn't. It almost looks like a tan right in the crease of the backof his neck which I believe got there when started to gain weight. Maybe it is...

Secondary Drain Line Re-Routed to Primary Line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. In particular, there have been numerous leaks from the HVAC secondary drain line (which drains into an interior space), apparently because the HVAC drain lines have no slope. The builder “repaired” the HVAC...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search