Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kittykingston Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Married best friend
    Can I be best friends with a married man? We have become pretty close at work and I have become close to his family as well. He says I am his best friend - is that possible?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Sure! Why not? There's a lot of variables, but friendship is an important tool in life. If it's real. Do you have other friends who are in relationships? Are you in a relationship that would hamper contact with his family (that could be bad, by itself)? I, personally, love the idea of external contact with people. It can give reference. Every person I've ever met needs to be sure how they interact with society. How can anybody tell if they matter without "outside" communications. I live in a relationship where contact is limited but not completely gone. I have an injury that keeps me home. Doesn't mean I don't care. Just means I can't move. Keep in contact with this person... just control where it's going... Good luck!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Yes, you can be best friends with a married man. My best male friend is married, have known him since 1974. His wife is a terrific person. So why not just enjoy the friendship and be thankful for having him and his family in your life? Best friends are hard to find.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 23, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I've been married for going on three decades (not always easy). Longer than a lot of people I know have been alive. That doesn't change anything. But, if you can't communicate, with anyone, you're done. Tell everyone around you how you care about them, in your own way, makes you and them feel important. How can that lead to a rife?? I've forgiven a tremendous "thing" from my past ( read "What now?") and I didn't die. My wife called me an idiot, again. But I put myself out, periodicaly, and perhaps more rarely, but if you can't trust your fellow man...
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Do you know his wife or does she know of you?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
    I'm married, and my best friend is a single guy.

My husband knows and likes him.

As long as you are not interfering with his marriage, and none of your "friendship" is something you wouldn't tell your grandmother or his wife about, then there shouldn't be a problem.
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Yes no problem as long as there is nothing at all going on, you respect the fact that he is married, I don't see a problem, married people are human too haha
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2007, 05:31 AM
    If you and his wife get along I see no problem, as long as the boundaries of his marriage is respected. What is your status?
    sampatrick Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

May 16, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Of course, you can become his best friend. Friendship is a blessing. True friends are really hard to find. You can send him any best friends day card and some gifts on coming best friends day.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
    As long as you REALLY didn't leave any critical information out your description and question, then you can be best friends with man, of course.

If you hedged AT ALL, and only you can admit that or not, then you may know the answer is "no" and that's why you omitted the info that made the situation look worse.

Again, only you know for sure.
    LeBo414 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 16, 2008, 11:46 PM
    Of course you can have a platonic relationship with a married man, BUT be very careful. One of the laws of attraction is, "You Want What You Can't Have"... Whenever a person share personal things about themselves to another. A level of intimacy is developed
    Whether you want it or not. Which can lead to an emotional affair. Even though there has been nothing physical taken place. Being understood, can be a powerful aphrodisiac.. . If the spouse knows of your friendship, It can help to keep things in it's proper perspective, But it's not guaranteed.. Be Careful.

My $00. 02

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My best friend is getting married... [ 11 Answers ]

My best friend of 9 years is a guy. We are extremely close. About a year ago he told me he was in love with me. Both of our families are really close and everyone feels that we should be together. At the time I told him that I didn't have the same feelings for him. I love him with all my heart just...

My fiance' friend is getting married the same day [ 6 Answers ]

I found out yesterday that one of my fiance' friends is getting the married the same that we are. This totally sucks. Because two of the guys that my fiancˇ was going to ask to be groomsmen are also going to be asked my his friend. Hello problem, they can't be at both weddings. Come on first,...

Best friend with married man? [ 21 Answers ]

Okay, I've been thinking forever about this, and have no clue what to do!! I have just found out that my best friend has been dating a married man for the past month. She is 20, and he is 40. We are in college, and she plans to be going to law school in a year. This man that she has been...

Good friend getting married [ 2 Answers ]

My best... well, seems more like good now, friend is getting married in a year. She is 19, her boyfriend is 18. They will be 20 and 19 at the time they marry. They have been dating for many years. I completely support their decision to marry, just not when they will marry. Previously, they...

My fiance' friend is getting married the same day [ 1 Answers ]

I found out yesterday that one of my fiance' friends is getting the married the same that we are. This totally sucks. Because two of the guys that my fiancˇ was going to ask to be groomsmen are also going to be asked my his friend. Hello problem, they can't be at both weddings. Come on first,...

View more questions Search