Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Disabling CD and A drives
    Is there a way to not permit Files to be copied on CD or A Drive.
    The scenario is this:
    Let's say I allow someone to have a lend of my PC for a lengthy time.
    And lets say I don't mind them using the PC, but I want to be sure nothing gets copied while I am not watching. Then can I disable or password protect the copy function or commands ?
    Is there utility software which can do this ?
    PC is XP
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

May 5, 2005, 05:08 PM
    What I would do is setup the system to have multiple users on it. You being the admin, and the other/others being what is called a limtied user. By doing this you can have your files hidden from the other users. This way they other users are not able to use any of the files that you have. I am not sure if there is anything else you have to do but as long as the files are not setup to be shared then they will not be able to see, modify, or copy your files.

May 5, 2005, 05:38 PM
    thetachi464
    Yeah I know this is the other option.
    This thing is, if I allow them on my PC, it's cos of some work I need done.
    Bookeeping etc.
    I know there are physical floppy drive locks, but this has offended some workers in the past, like " oh don't you trust us" type of thing.
    I was thinking along the lines of actually de-activating the function on those drives from the within the PC. Or Temporarily deactivate the copy/paste files, but does not affect the copy/paste functions in the macro's for the spreadsheets.
    Only the CD and A drives is the concern.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2005, 12:46 AM
    You can disable the A/CD drives, this might help. Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", select the "Hardware" tab, then you want the "Device Manager" button, find the drive you want to disable, right click on it and choose "Disable".

Trouble is, it'll be easy for the person using your PC to just enable them again.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 6, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Just a thought - how about putting your sensitive files all in a hidden share?

May 6, 2005, 02:17 PM
    NeedKarma,
    Some are the files to work with, I make my own bookeeeping "programs" with excel and macros. There are logs txt files that continuasly log 24/7, it is this data that goes to the excel.

LTheobald
    This could be the option because I doupt a worker would know that extent, unless they are reading this thread !
    :eek:

I may have to experiment with Admin rights and password protect these type disable changes.
    Perhaps MS will look at these options and call it
    "XP Pro, Industrial"?

Now there's a thought !
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 27, 2005, 02:24 AM
    It might be possible!
    You may be able to do it using group policy.

Be very careful what you change here as it can cause serious problems if you can't undo the settings. Always perform backups before doing any tinkering work like this - you don't want to accidentally lock yourself out of all your drives!

Check out this link for instructions on your specific problem.

http://www.gpanswers.com/faq/?id=19

They suggest an add-on that gives more flexibility with regards to disabling access to drives.

To run group policy click start -> run -> type gpedit.msc -> click OK.

Hope this helps. Once again be careful !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabling Volume Controls [ 1 Answers ]

I have a PC running Win XP Pro that serves as an audible alarm. The problem is that the wonderfully... umm... smart people that use it keep turning it down.. :-/?? I need to disable all of the software volume controls on it so that they can no longer do this. I have gotten rid of the volume...

Disabling Right Click and Run [ 5 Answers ]

I want to disable my right click and my run command in my PC.. Is there a way I can do it without having a software? Any reply will be appreciated.. Tnx..

Disabling Volume Controls [ 2 Answers ]

I have a PC running Win XP Pro that serves as an audible alarm. The problem is that the wonderfully... umm... smart people that use it keep turning it down.. :-/?? I need to disable all of the software volume controls on it so that they can no longer do this. I have gotten rid of the volume...

View more questions Search