Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NikkiLovesYou44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Being too protective?
    My last question had to do with my ex... now I need a little help with my current boyfriend. We've been dating for almost a month and he's great except for one thing... he flirts with EVERYONE. Everyone that I've talked to that knows him tell me that it's just part of his personality and that's the way he's always been, but I really hate it. To give an example, he'll tell girls about how "sexy" they look and he'll tell them that he "loves" them. The reason I know this is what he says is because he happens to say this while I'm standing right there, which is another problem all in itself. I don't really know if I should confront him about, ir if I'm just being wayyyy too protective of him. Suggestions?
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
    It's a hard one really if he has always been that way you cannot change who he is, you could maybe ask him to tone it down a little when he is with you.
    Also maybe set up boundries with him and tell him the "i love you" part should be kept for his girlfriend.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 08:18 AM
    If that's the way he is, and you can't live with it, maybe you need to look for another boyfriend.

I, too, am a complete flirt. I flirt with EVERYONE---male, female, young, old, whatever. It's part of my personality. If my husband could not live with that, I wouldn't be with my husband, because there's no way I'd change that for him.

That being said, I have toned it down since we've been together. I would say that YES, you are being too possessive, but that you should realize that this is part of his personality.

You'll need to talk to HIM to work out the kinds of boundaries for your relationship, but realize that you're asking him to be someone else if you ask him to change this completely.
    darkness1970us Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

May 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I hate to say this, but neither of you are wrong.

This is part of his personality. Your discomfort is part of yours. I would say that you need to back off for a bit. Don't break things off with him, but don't get too serious. There may come a point where you decide that it isn't as big of a deal as you think. There may come a point where he decides that his flirtacious nature isn't as important to him as it used to be. I wouldn't push for either of you to change, however. If things work out, great. If not, it was never meant to be.
    flow_girl Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Its hard to say as you've only been dating him for a month. My boyfriends like that too. He's always saying hey babe to other girls and flirting but it is in his personality. At the start it use to get to me but since talking about it with him, his toned it down. Now everything is fine. Its about respect. If he loves you then he'll tone it down too or at least, he won't do it when your with him. Its incosiderate. You're his girlfriend not anyone else in the street, at the movies etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ouija Board Protective Prayer? [ 11 Answers ]

What is the protective prayer for the ouija board?

Protective order... son hates me [ 4 Answers ]

Filed protective order with the court that has now become order of the court. My son hates me. Wants to be with his Dad. He can't see my son unsupervised. How do I keep them away from my son? Can I get a TRO? Below is more of the story... Dad has embroiled him so deep in the middle of...

New Dog very protective/barks/runs off [ 6 Answers ]

We just got a new cockapoo 4 days ago,and he won't eat his dog food,only some table scraps and I know you shouldn't but I was worried and thought I should give him something to eat.What should I do? Also he seems very protective of me(a woman)He won't go to the bathroom if I don't take him,He lays...

Protective Orders and Probation [ 6 Answers ]

If a person was on probation and someone filed a protective order against that person, would that be enough cause to acclerate their sentence?

Protective and Territorial German Sheperds [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 German Sheperds, Romey 3, and Scar 7 mo. I had many problems with Romey and aggression, whether it be towards other dogs on walks, at the vet and in front of my home, although I did work with him a lot from very young I failed to socialize him enough. Now at 3 yrs I think he has calmed...

View more questions Search