Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jklivin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Baby Shower For Unwed Mother
    I work with a girl who is expecting her second child. Here is my dilemma. This is her second child out of wedlock. Her first child is only a year and a half old. The father is a unreliable guy and only come surround when HE feels like it. The other girls that I work with feel sorry for her and want to give her a little help. We all put our money surround and bought her a really nice stroller/corset combo. Others are giving more. Corset that she should be a big girl and take care of her children herself. Am I being a really bad person if I don't contribute mor than my stroller share?:confused::confused:
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

May 22, 2007, 08:41 PM
    No, why would you ?

You contribute to the stroller which in itself is already a nice gesture.

When other people want to do a bit more, that's their decision.

Don't feel pressured.

Just do it because you want to.
    When you don't, then don't.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Absouletly not! Traditionally, she would not get a shower for a second child - especially so close to the last child. Sometimes, you might have a "diaper" shower or a "covered dish" party for the 2nd. But to go all out on a second child doesn't happen often - unless there a plenty of years between them.

Saying that - does she not have supplies from her 1st child?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Anything you can do to help I am sure would be greatly appreciated. Good for you.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 23, 2007, 09:37 PM
    You could help more if you wish to, but there is no obligation to have a shower for a second child, whether the mom is wed or unwed.

In my community women often give a "Mom's Party" for a second child, offering gifts for destressing such as spa gift certificates, a full housecleaning, and bath oils, as well as bring dinners over for at least a week after baby comes home so mom doesn't have to cook.
    VTOnline Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 11:12 AM
    It is the thought and principle not the act or deed, done that is greatest. The fact YOU and your friends have even considered help is a testament to your principles of love, care and friendship. Well done.
    The Act or Deed is a bonus and only a token of gesture to the true nature of your giving.
    I say She should learn from your deeds and look after the kids and treasure your gift of giving and lending a hand.

Check out an awesome recource and info here about other ideas.
    http://fitnesshealthvt.com/babyshowers
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 08:49 PM

I'm a little mystified by a corset/stroller combination - sounds like a pretty uncomfortable corset! Anyway, if you contributed to one gift for a workplace shower, you've done your bit and needn't do more, nor explain why not.

As others pointed out, typically showers are only given for the first baby. Personally I am not a fan of the workplace shower which obligates people to part with part of their paycheck before they even leave the premises - I think it's nice for the employer to give a gift (ideally a check or gifts certificate) and leave it at that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:01 AM

Please keep an eye on dates - this is from 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to adopt a baby you know the mother would never give up [ 6 Answers ]

My bestfriends niece is one month pregnant and fourteen years old the father of her baby is fourteen as well, my fiancé and I have talked about adopting their baby only because we both know that she and the father can not take care of that baby and I know for a fact that it will not be safe in the...

I want to find my real mother I was adoped into a family as a baby [ 2 Answers ]

I was adopted into a family as a baby I am now almost 50 and I want to know my real family my adoptive fathers name is jim collins and I don't have money to spend on this online stuff is there anyone that can tell me how I can find them for free my name is leanna jeanette collins I don't know my...

Baby Mother Drama [ 14 Answers ]

I recently entered into a loving relationship with a wonderful man,but he has a child with a young lady who makes our relationship together very fustrating, obviously she hasn't let him go or in her mind they are still together.Everything we do together is a problem to his baby mother,it has gotten...

Can My Mother Make Me Give My Baby Up For Adoption? [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I am a 14 year old girl. I am think about getting pregnant to stay with my boyfriend when he goes to jail.. but that's not the reason I want to get pregnant, that's only 5% of it. I want to get pregnant because I love babies I want to be a mother I am pretty much on my own all of the time my...

Unwed 17 yr old in VA pregnant [ 9 Answers ]

I'm writing for my daughter who is 17 yrs. Old and 9 months pregnant. She was 16 when she conceived and the father of the child is now 20 (19 at conception). She was living with her father at the time 6 hours away from me. She left my home because my husband and I forbid her relationship with the...

View more questions Search