Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masakus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Giving up parental rights
    Hi I live in Florida and I was wondering if my sisters husband gives up all rights to his children from another marriage will he still have to pay child support. His Ex- Wife is getting married and I think the other guy wants to adopt the children. So Does he still have to pay support.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Evenif he gives up all his parental rights, he may well have to continue to pay child support. Now if the step father wants to adopt the children and the biological father agrees to it, then the child support will stop.

But check your state laws!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Yes if the new step father wants to adopt, then after the child is adopted, the bio father will not have to pay child support.

If the step father does not adopt, then just giving up his rights does not take away the child support, it only takes away his rights to see or have a say with the child.

I would hope he would want to see his children since he has rights to visit his children and should be doing that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up your parental rights [ 10 Answers ]

I recently got a girl preganat, and from day one I told her that we should not have the baby. Mainly because I have other kids and she was married. She insisted on having the baby anyway and I want to give up my rights to the baby without having to pay child support or anything. She choose to have...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My ex husband wants to give up parental rights to our 2 children.. If he gives his rights up is he still obligated to pay child support?

Giving up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know the laws to giving up parental rights are you obligated in any way after that to the kids?

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has a child with a woman prior to us getting married. He was not made aware of the child until the child was almost a year old. He has a court order to pay child support for this child. He has only seen the child the one time we went to get the paternity test. We do not know where...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the...

View more questions Search