Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LauraFS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 02:15 PM
    A step-parent's relationship with a handicapped child
    I am the step-parent of an 18 year old handicapped child who is not bathroom trained, has aggressive tendencies, and other behavioral issues that I am having increasing trouble coping with. The child's mother has primary custody of the child and his father and I have a regular visitation schedule. Due to the demands of his father's job, I am left to watch the child more and more. His mother's outlook is that during his father's scheduled visits, it's his 'problem' to find someone to watch him. That ends up being me. As the child, who is no longer a child, has gotten older, he has gotten stronger and his aggressive outbursts are harder to manage. I also am having a hard time cleaning him after he messes himself - I have tried everything I can think of to toilet train him, and speak with his teachers regularly. This is just a little, but I am at my wit's end and becoming more and more resentful towards my step-son and my husband. My husband refuses to address it with his ex as she can be impossible. So, how long does the custody
    Order that we originally had in place pertain to a handicapped child and what resources can I seek to help me deal with my feelings of guilt and resentment as well as find some services to help manage his behaviors?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
    I think that before your resentment gets any worse towards your husband and his son, you should seek out some professional help. It is not his fault that he is in constant need. Your husband should never be in the position to chose between you or his son. I would hope he could chose his son. Have your husband and ex wife ever thought about assisted living for him? That is where every one gets their own room and they learn how to live on their own so they can learn to "wipe", shower, and even cook on their own. How would they feel about that? Go see someone about this. There must be more options than just getting upset over this! Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Before I answer this I would like to know what the specific handicap is as each is very different and each situation with each handicap is different. We cannot in good faith give a general answer to this question, aside from you seeking professional help, without knowing what the situation with the boy is.

For instance, the differece of a child with brain damage due to an accident is different than that of a child with cerebral palsy, or autism. So, to help answer better it would be better if you included the kind of handicap you are dealing with.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Dear Startover, I agree partially with your advice but assisted living cost money and unless there is government money available for disabled people (at any degree) in a community, or state (( don't know how it works down there), individuals can't afford the up keep.

Here in Ontario there are group homes for moderately disabled people, wheelchair bound or whatever, who are encouraged to live on their own up to a point. They are even encouraged to have relationships. These group homes are run by qualified individuals who, more or less, volunteer their time and the resources are funded by the community through donations, community money raising efforts. You can get the picture I am sure.

Then there are nursing homes. One still has to have the resources. So everyone is at a dead end.

I still don't believe this lady should be saddled with the nurse maid activities but that is basically what she is doing. Laura has to put her foot forward and search the net and try to find out what type of salvation there is out there. She is still between a rock and hard spot because she is not biologically related to her charge and has to refer to her husband or his ex for signing authority if and when she finds a way out.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 06:46 AM
    LauraFS agrees: My step-son has down-syndrome, with an abilities range from 18 months to 4 years on different levels.
    I am sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is (I do have personal experience in this too).

Are you here in the states? If so, what state? I may be able to help with some support systems.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 07:51 AM
    LauraFS, I am so sorry I misunderstood. I really feel for you, I have had many friends in almost the same situation. I was just basing my answer on what they did. Since his handicap is different, it makes a big difference. I am proud of you for taking charge and wanting to get a handle on it! Hugs to you, and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step by step needed to become and operate as a Talent Agent [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in operating a Talent agency of my own, and would appreciate any information on where to begin the process. I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards, but I need to know where to go to get the application for...

Adpoting a step child [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Marie. I am engaged to a man that has full custody of his daughter. Her birth mother signed over all rights to her. The birth mother has no visitation unless agreeded upon by mouth. Does anyone know how much trouble I would have to go through to adopt this little girl because...

Step-parenting a defiant child? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm getting married soon and I and my fiancé are in our early twenties. He has a 3yr old daughter who is the result of a "one-night-stand" in high school. :o I was lucky enough to meet her when she wasn't even two yet, so she really has no memories without me in her life; of that I am thankful....

Disrespect for the Handicapped [ 6 Answers ]

My mother is wheelchair bound. This is not a small issue, as she is unable to use a walker at this point and weighs around 180 bpounds. My mother is 70 years old and so is my father who cares for her full time. Once a week, my father pays my son to sit for my mother for a full day. She enjoys this...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search