Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I lost my best friend.
    I just thought I would share my story...

8 days ago on Monday I lost my best friend, my pet cockatiel Louie and I have been devastated since than. He flew out the door that was cracked and I immediately went searching for him and I also had hundreds of fliers made up to put in the neighborhood, stores and everywhere that I could think that people would see it. He was gone in a flash! I walked miles looking for him and calling in the trees in every direction and I left his cage outside to see if he could find his way back and I knew that he would be getting hungry also.

The first 4 days that he went missing that was all I did was search for him constantly and was VERY depressed and crying a WHOLE lot. I did not eat for 4 days and I could not sleep good either. It took about 5 days before I would even touch my computer or leave the house to do anything and when I did leave the house it was to search for Louie! This is the first time that I have lost a pet or anything for that matter and I am so devastated about it. Especially because I raised Louie from 1 day old because he was abandoned and I spent a lot of time raising him and hand feeding him for 2 months. He was 7 months old when he flew out the door last week! I also took him to the Avian vet for check-ups because I was scared when I had to handfeed him and I wanted to make sure he was healthy and doing okay, the nearest avain vet was about an hour away.. I love Louie so much! He was very tame and would fly over to me every time he was out of the cage, if I would take him out and run for fun he would chase me down to land on my shoulder, he would ALWAYS find me. I wished that I would have had his wings clipped now because this is so painful being without him and I am VERY much blaming myself. I didn't want to clip his wings because he was so tame and it was fun watching him fly!

It has been 8 days since I lost him and I can eat and sleep good now but Louie is still always on my mind constantly. I pray for his safety in the wild everyday and I still pray that he will come home, I guess I am praying for a miracle but I know that I do not expect it. Louie's cage is also still in my living room and I used to clean it and remove the paper towels everyday but since he has left I have just kept the cage the way it is, it is not messy but there is a little food on the bottum and maybe a couple of droppings from 1day of use from Louie but I don't want to clean it because it will hurt too bad.

The pain is still here but a little easier and I miss him so so much and I don't want to be in pain but I am. I kind of think that I should be in pain and that I deserve it and if I am not sad then it is cruel to my Louie and not fair that I am happy when he is out there suffering and hunting for food and avoiding predators. I just hope so much that he has been rescued and is happy right now!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 02:49 PM
    I'm so sorry.
    My aunt lost her bird once, she found him 10 miles away a month later.

Just keep your eyes open and you may find him - I hope you do.

May 22, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Thank you! I am not giving up hope and it does help knowing that your aunts bird was found a month later and okay. I just want him to be safe! I will send out some more fliers a little further away so that if someone finds him several miles away they will see my flier and contact me.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
    One landed on my front porch about a month ago (I live in AL), and the owner lived just behond me and found him right away after he escaped. I would not give up just yet on finding him. Brandy, ask all your neighbors to be on the look out for him. Seems like they tend to roost high in trees sometimes so keep looking up. Brandy, your story really moved me and I am sure it would be a great human interest story for the local TV stations and that might help find Louie. Also check with vets and pet stores in your area. Good luck and let us know if you find him. If you don't and find another pet, let us know that also.

May 23, 2007, 12:05 AM
    Thank you for your response... Almost every morning I think I hear his chirping and I go outside to see if it is him and I look and in the trees for him and call his name. It seems as though I notice birds chirping a whole lot more now than before Louie escaped and they seem to sound like him also. I posted a lot of fliers in my neighborhood and in all of the stores, etc and I hoping that someone will find him. After I posted some in the stores, some people took them down after I put them up and I was so upset because someone could be likely to see the flier and call me about Louie but I don't think people care. I don't make a whole lot of money and I spent a lot of time and 25c a copy posting them (hundreds of copy's) and it hurts that some people would take them down, although I understand that they have a right to their property. I walked a whole lot to houses and posted fliers also and it was so so hot outside! I got a call from a young boy that he thought he saw my bird and I went over there and saw a bird but it was too far to see if it was Louie and he was on a fence when I got there but the bird flew past the fence in to another neighborhood and so I jumped the fence. It was probably the craziest thing I have done, it was a small fence but there was briers and I got hung on the fence and got cut on the fence also. Finally I got across there falling into briers and I ran to see if it was him because I knew I didn't have long or he would be gone and I didn't see the same bird but I don't think it was him though but I looked for a long time. Finally I got back across and I was so dirty, tired and hot and I was so so disappointed that It was not Louie. After this I still searched for him and I called for him in the trees but I couldn't find him.. I am still looking for him and hoping and praying every night that someone will find Louie and call me!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Brandy when I was a small girl I lived in a very rural area, we had a small bird, it escaped out the door and came back about 2 weeks later... so keep hope you never know, and it helps that it is summer time, at least he can stay warm.
    steviebeezie Posts: 66, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Try posting and looking on petfinder.com
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Sorry for your bird escaping,

Last year in march I lost a kakariki due to somebody trying to steal my birds, they left cage doors open, nestbox doors and broke the wire,

I put ads out everywhere, he was in the lcal area and we had sightings and I tried to catch him but he flew away, we had bad storms and we thught he would never survive,

However their have been sightings f him all ver the place, unfortunately by the time I get their he has flown the nest so to speak :(

Don't give up hope and good luck with the search, maybe a local radio station will read an ad about it also? They are good like that round here

May 26, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Thanks everyone for your support! I still miss him so so much, this is his picture on my profile and I think about him all of the time and I pray for him every night.

Jun 16, 2007, 04:15 AM
    I got a lead from petfinder but it was not my bird... I still have hope and I am praying for a miracle!
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Try leaving the cage outside,up high where he can see it.He may fly into it.We have pigeons that come back to their cage,because the recognize it as home.cockateils are smart,so never give up.Call him daily,he may surprise you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Friend ~ Grilfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for about 8 months, it is very complicated, as I am not her boyfriend, yet at times I have been. I meet the girl randomly, and she has a lot of problems (anorexia, abuse, etc. just to name a few) Since I meet her, she has run to me with everything, while she was...

I have lost a friend [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I have lost a friend who I would really like to contact again. His name is Colin Watts and he is now 23 years old. His birthday is on 11th October 1982/1983. He lives in Wigan and he used to live at 36B Charles Street in Wigan but got kicked out and I don't know where to find him now. Please...

Looking for a long lost friend [ 2 Answers ]

I knew this woman in the early 1980's. I was stationed in Orlando Fla and she lived with her mom on HIGH Street in winter park "(haven) can't remember. She had just relocated from Colorado and hed her son Bobby (now Robert?) with her. Later she worked for the Red Lobster Corp in FLA. And I...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

Lost girlfriend to a friend... Help [ 20 Answers ]

I have this friend whom I know since high school. Well on Friday I went to the Heat game at Hooters with him, his girlfriend, my girfriend and two other friends. They agreed after the game to go to a strip club and we all agreed. Once in there my friend's friend which I had told my girlfriend I did...

View more questions Search