Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icequeenie76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Periods after giving birth
    Since giving birth on the 3 April I have had 2 periods the 1st was on 9th may and lasted 5 days and the 2nd was the 20th may and lasted 2 days,it was heavy and didn't lighten like a normal period it just stopped.I have not been called for my 6 week check yet but should I tell the doctor when I do go?
    Caramella Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by icequeenie76
    since giving birth on the 3 April I have had 2 periods the 1st was on 9th may and lasted 5 days and the 2nd was the 20th may and lasted 2 days,it was heavy and didn't lighten like a normal period it just stopped.I have not been called for my 6 week check yet but should I tell the doctor when I do go?
    If you bottle feed your baby, or combine bottle feeding with breastfeeding, your first period could start as soon as 5-6 weeks after you give birth.
    If you fully breastfeed (and do not combine bottle feeding with breastfeeding), it's possible that your periods may not start again until you stop breastfeeding. This is your body's way of preventing additional pregnancies while you have a small baby.
    While you are breastfeeding, if your period does return, it may not be regular. It is not unusual for a woman's menstrual cycle to go more quick or slower than normal while she is breastfeeding. Sometimes, a woman who is breastfeeding will skip periods altogether, or have months in between periods.
    After pregnancy, it is important to remember that you can still be fertile (able to get pregnant) even though your periods have not yet returned. This is because a woman ovulates (releases an egg) about two weeks before she has her period. This means that you will become fertile again before you realise it. If you do not want to become pregnant again, it is essential that - whether your periods have returned or not - you use contraception when you have sex.
    As you cannot take the pill straight after having a baby, or while you are breastfeeding, condoms are usually recommended as the safest method of contraception. Speak to your GP, health visitor or midwife for advice.
    After having a baby, your periods may be either heavier or lighter than before. If your periods become irregular, or if you are not fully breastfeeding and your periods have not returned after a few months, you should speak to your GP or health visitor for advice.
    This advice also applies to women who have had a stillbirth.
    newmommie1boy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by icequeenie76
    since giving birth on the 3 April I have had 2 periods the 1st was on 9th may and lasted 5 days and the 2nd was the 20th may and lasted 2 days,it was heavy and didn't lighten like a normal period it just stopped.I have not been called for my 6 week check yet but should I tell the doctor when I do go?
    I had my baby April 5 and I still haven't had a period yet... but yes you should tell your doctor.
    maryanna12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
    If your last period was on the 2nd may 2011 and you have sex on the 21st of may will you be pregnant

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat (soon to be giving birth) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my pregnant cat . Well I don't exactly know when the time of her getting pregnant was, but I think she is getting really close to giving birth to her kittens. First of all I would like to know if taking their temperature is an accurate way of telling whe nthey...

Chihuahua giving birth [ 3 Answers ]

my chihuahua dog just gave birth to 5 puppies (2 were born dead) the last puppy that was born was alive but we couldnt get the placenta out of the mom.... what should i do????:confused:

Giving Birth [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any free videos to watch on internet of a woman giving birth? Want to know...

How regular are your periods after birth [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth at the beginning of November, 2006. On Dec 31, 2007 I had my first period. I had my second period on January 29, 2007. By my calculations I should have had my next one on February 28. It is now March 5th and I have not started. I am not on the pill, but we did use protection. ...

View more questions Search