Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sdjosh Posts: 215, Reputation: 41

May 22, 2007, 11:18 AM
    What Have You learned?
    So...you just broke up...did you learn something from it?

- Unrealistic expectations set you up for failure and do nothing but disappoint you.

- Sometimes the argument isn't really what you are yelling about... but something deeper.

- Yelling never solves anything... but taking time to listen and understand their perspective does.

- Lying hurts everyone and kills trust.

- Resentment poisons the relationship. Never do anything to get even or out of resentment.

- Be honest. Even if it hurts. But do it in a nice way.

- Games are for kids. Don't play with someone's heart.

- Communication is important... but so is the right kind of communication.

- Have patience... they aren't you and don't see the world like you.

- You can control your TV remote... not your partner.

- Take time in the relationship to do what makes you happy. Hang out with your friends... keep your hobbies... It was part of what attracted them in the first place. It gives them a chance to miss you.

- Don't make your whole world about your partner. That's too much for any person to bare.

- Stand up for yourself. But do it in a way that is not hurtful to them.

- Don't sweat the small stuff.

- Love your partner... accept them for who they are... you can't change anyone so don't try.

- Never let them forget they are important. Do little things... love notes... flowers... little surprises. Anything that will let them know that they are special and you appreciate them for who they are.

- Take an interest in their hobbies. If it is something that you are not into... support them in it. They will love you more for it.

- Have direction and ambition in life. Its sexy when you have goals and brings confidence when you accomplish them.

- Laugh as much as you can. Seriousness can make life seem a whole lot longer than you would like.

- Try to love with an open heart. Baggage is never sexy. So love like you have never been hurt and leave it all out there... no regrets.

These are some of the things I have learned from my relationship. Taking a look at your past relationships and learning from them is important and it could save you trouble in the next one.

FEEL FREE TO ADD WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED.
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
    All thoes are great!

I would have to add long distance relationships take hard work and time.

:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
    I would also like to add that if there are children involved that one should not jump into a new relationship right away. Remember everything affects the children.

May 22, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Yes! That is a very important factor J_9 my dear.

I speak from experience.

shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 04:21 PM
    That their past AND your past are just that - past. If there is something you cannot deal with at the time you meet the person, then either bury it with their past or leave.

May 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Shygrneyz, that's a wonderful input.
    mckenzie134 Posts: 647, Reputation: 67

May 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Great advice when I met my last girlfriend she said the first night we slept together if you hae any baggage handle it before we see each other I don't want any!!

Keeping your hobbies will make her miss you!!

Keep her interested don't go over board with the gifts but at the right time throw something in tell her something sweet but at the right time! A great tiime for this may be once you haven't seen her or been as close fopr a couple of days , you mnay have been busyt this is the time to show you still think about her.
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

May 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I would like to add :: DO NOT tempt to figure things out right after the break up. Give at least 6 months to free yourself, not thinking why or how or whatever makes you guys break up.
    diya Posts: 303, Reputation: 62

May 22, 2007, 07:39 PM
    If the relationship is for keeps, then try to establish mental connection before any kind of sexual connection... or else it hurts. Because a relation that begins on sex, ends dirty... this is one lesson I can never dispute on. Take it easy and learn to know the person.

Jul 3, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Keep them coming...
    SameOldSituation Posts: 66, Reputation: 32

Jul 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
    ---shower more than twice a week.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Jul 3, 2007, 12:15 PM
    - If you are in love make sure they know you love them.

- When you don't see each other for periods when you are together, don't take for granted the time you do spend together.

- Don't forget about your friends, because they will always be their even after a break up.

Sep 6, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Bump... anyone else?
    ConfusedandLost Posts: 93, Reputation: 26

Sep 6, 2007, 11:44 AM
    - When she says there is nothing wrong, something is wrong...
    - Listen, listen, in between the lines...
    - Cherish every moment together, never let her leave you upset...
    - Space... give it to her in moderation...
    - Tell her how beautiful she is... daily...
    - Don't make her your "world"... one day it will fall apart...

Just a few...
    aimee25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdjosh
    So...you just broke up...did you learn something from it?

- Unrealistic expectations set you up for failure and do nothing but disappoint you.

- Sometimes the argument isn't really what you are yelling about...but something deeper.

- Yelling never solves anything...but taking time to listen and understand their perspective does.

- Lying hurts everyone and kills trust.

- Resentment poisons the relationship. Never do anything to get even or out of resentment.

- Be honest. Even if it hurts. But do it in a nice way.

- Games are for kids. Don't play with someones heart.

- Communication is important...but so is the right kind of communication.

- Have patience ...they aren't you and don't see the world like you.

- You can control your TV remote...not your partner.

- Take time in the relationship to do what makes you happy. Hang out with your friends.....keep your hobbies....It was part of what attracted them in the first place. It gives them a chance to miss you.

- Don't make your whole world about your partner. Thats to much for any person to bare.

- Stand up for yourself. But do it in a way that is not hurtful to them.

- Don't sweat the small stuff.

- Love your partner...accept them for who they are...you can't change anyone so don't try.

- Never let them forget they are important. Do little things...love notes....flowers....little surprises. Anything that will let them know that they are special and you appreciate them for who they are.

- Take an interest in their hobbies. If it is something that you are not into...support them in it. They will love you more for it.

- Have direction and ambition in life. Its sexy when you have goals and brings confidence when you accomplish them.

- Laugh as much as you can. Seriousness can make life seem a whole lot longer than you would like.

- Try to love with an open heart. Baggage is never sexy. So love like you have never been hurt and leave it all out there...no regrets.

These are some of the things i have learned from my relationship. Taking a look at your past relationships and learning from them is important and it could save you trouble in the next one.

FEEL FREE TO ADD WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED.
    I admire people thinks like you.
    All the best...
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 05:03 PM
    I learnt how to write a bible on what one should not do and what they should do and for icing how to become obsessed with relationship forums.

And on top of icing the cherry: I became a new person (one which I wouldn't have become without my relationship) Wow its been 8 months today my god - happy breaking up anniversary!

Aug 12, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Bump... anyone else?
    HeadsHigh Posts: 75, Reputation: 10

Aug 12, 2008, 05:24 AM
    You won't actually die from a broken heart
    Oh and if a relationship starts badly it'll end badly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 year old hasn't learned to talk [ 24 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old son that has not even began to talk. He knows the usual words,like . The doctor isn't saying it's his hearing. i'm at a lost. He's my first child. How can i get him to talk? I read to him i try to get him to pronounce words nothing.:confused:

What I learned about relationships in the last six months: [ 1 Answers ]

What I learned about relationships in the last six months: 1. Time is needed for anything to grow. It is better to establish a great friendship for friendship is one of the major bonding elements of a relationship. Friendship is the glue that holds the boat together in the storm. By rushing...

Things I've learned [ 14 Answers ]

Hello: Yes, I love dispensing all my hard earned info, but I'm here to learn too. You? What have you learned? I'll start: Canadians are all shoplifters. Ok, OK, that's not so... But, something's funny up there... What quirks of humanity have you picked up here? excon

Learned something VERY important tonight... [ 4 Answers ]

Im back... for now, but I learned something that I thought was pretty cool tonight... so I thought I would share. Driving home tonight I was albe to listen to a band that I thought I would NEVER be able to listen to again and ENJOY because of my EX... and I LOVED them again for the 1st time! It was...

Lesson learned [ 3 Answers ]

Many of you that ever read my posts know I used to work with the Justice Dept in a position that was classified Law Enforcement, and work for years within the State of GA as a POST cetified law enforcement officer. Well I had never in all my years ever actually used my own "mace" pepper spray. ...

View more questions Search