Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Hot wire from house to Unattached garage
    Hello All,

I have a garage with all wiring and futures in it and only problem I have is that I don't have any hot wire to garage and I find line goes to the garage from underground but line was dead and I couldn't find where line goes.

Please, if anyone can help. My Q is how can I have new line of hot wire to garage from main box, do I have to dig the ground and put wire underground and what type of wire or if I need any type of pipe for wiring and how do I connect the wire from outside to the inside of garage?

Thanks

Yaddy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Yaddy, lets start with what where your home is located. Your underground wire must come back to your electric panel and you will need to start at that end. I doubt it but maybe as simple as a open breaker at the panel. Tell us when you isolate the breaker at the panel.
    Yaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Hello,

I live in NJ and I bought this house just about few months ago and I don't know that much about the history of this house, but when I check the sub-panel at garage both positive and negative line was disconnected from the box and it was on the side of box, then I checked every swishes on the main panel and then checked the sub-panel at garage I couldn't find any live wire by using test equipment. From both side I couldn't find any connection. The wire from garage was going underground, but I don't know where its goes. And from main panel I didn't find any connection to garage by checking every switches. I am not sure what previous owner of this house did to this garage wiring and why he did this.
    I really appreciate your kind respond to my problem. I wish I knew how to find other end of wire goes to the house from garage.
    Please, let me know if you have any suggestion
    Thanks
    Yaddy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Unless you want to run a new line to the garage you may need to hire an electrican. He can put his thumper on the wire in the garage and trace it outisde. Chances are the last owner disconnected everything for a very good reason like a dead short underground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BAD odor in house and garage [ 3 Answers ]

I have owned my house for about a year now and there has been a dead animal smell off and on during this time. The first time it went away I was relieved thinking it was over, however several weeks later it was back. I cannot find a leak, a dead animal or any clue to the problem. I know there is...

Blue house eletrical AC wire [ 3 Answers ]

I am making repairs to my house wiring. The house is 46 years and is in San Diego. Many of the junction boxes have two blue wires and a white running through metal conduit. I am use to black, white, bare, red and geen colors so am confused what the blue ones are for. With only a white and two blues...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Bringing Wire into Unfinished Garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I haven't seen anything on this topic and since I'm trying to do it, I thought I'd ask. I'm running two circuits into my unfinished garage via my attic. Both will be homeruns to the first outlet. My question is how do I get them through the drywall and still maintain its fire...

Gas pipe from house to garage? [ 2 Answers ]

I know this pipe requires an outside shutoff valve at the destination (garage). Does it also require a valve at the source (house)?

View more questions Search