Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TexasLady4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 04:35 AM
    "Relief Shampoo"?
    I am the owner of the Jack Russell who just recovered from the about of Pancreatitis. (Not certain of the spelling!)He can no longer have the steroid injections or the oral Predisone. It is damaging his organs ,liver ,pancreas.He has been off these meds for a week and is itching now,eating my carper ,licking. In addition to being hungry and not eating the Hills Science ,this little fellow is in misery. Help! :(
    I found a shampoo called Relief online.Also a Canine Relief Atmicirobial shampoo and a spray. Suppose to help. Also found Relief Shampoo on Petmeds. We have spent a small fortune on so many things to help and none did. Does anyone know of either of these or something else that might help. The vet says to :confused: simply bathe him every 3 days for relief.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 05:26 AM
    The thought of bathing a dog every 3 days disturbs me. I must admit being way out of the main stream here, not having bathed my dog in 3 years. In looking at your 2 questions, I have to wonder how good of care your dog is getting. One of the reasons medicines such as steroids and Predisone are prescription drugs is that they can cause problems. They need to be taken under the supervision of a doctor to make sure they aren't causing problems. It sounds like he was allowed to go too long. The same doctor should have noticed the dog becoming obese and warned the owner. If you were not taking him to the vet regularly, or ignored warnings, then it is your fault. Otherwise, he might do better with a different vet.

If you are going to bath a dog that often, you need to be very careful to rinse out the shampoo and likely need a conditioner.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Pancreatitis is the correct spelling, have you considered a dermatologist? Bathing a dog so often removes needed oils and dander from his coat. All of this may sound costly but in the long run will be cheaper from all the seemingly short cuts to cure the issue. I have noticed the itching to stem from basic allergies, IE: laundry soap, air freasheners, perfumes, all of witch take extended amounts of time to rule out. The dermo doc can provide many nonsteroidal solutions, as well as diet an grooming scheduals. Im sure your current vet explained that new I/D hills deit is bland and that way for a reason. And I am sure he got pancreatitis from eating high protine or "people" food, lol So he isn't to happy with bland food about now. Can't say as I blame him much, lol

DocWill
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Have you tried a holstic vet? If not, maybe give it a try Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"? [ 6 Answers ]

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"?

Word XP - Tab/ruler measurement is "ch". What is "ch"? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys I'm actually an advanced Word user but I'm scratching my head over what seems to be a very basic (but frustrating) issue after recently installing Word XP/2002. :confused: Note: I'm in Australia so I use metric. If you're using inches, 1.27cm = 1/2 inch. Not that it matters! I've...

View more questions Search