Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sporter790 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
    Statistics help
    I have a study where I'm now focusing on 4 students.

I'm trying to find the best way to interpret my data.

If I calcuate the mean using their individual scores on the test (0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,6) I get a mean of 2.05 and a standard deviation of 1.73. I think this gives the impression that I have 20 students when there are really only 4.

If I calculate the mean using their total scores on the test (9,14,2,15) I get a mean of 10.25 and a standard deviation of 5.14.

Which one is the correct interpretation?

Please help

Signed, lost
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2006, 01:05 AM
    The best way to interpret you data depends on what question you want to answer. Is it:

A: "How dispersed are the students' results"? (As in "Did most of the students do pretty much the same overall or did some do much better than others?")

Or:

B: "How dispersed were the students' performance on the individual questions?" (Did the grades on individual questions differ markedly or were they much the same?)

I think you are right not to trust your first method, because here you are confusing these two questions.

For example, you're counting each individual students performance on different answers as unrelated objects. (So if a really smart student did well on all the questions, this would contribute to a lower standard deviation; and similarly if a poor student did badly on all questions - You don't want that, if you want to measure the dispersion BETWEEN students).
    Similarly you're counting results on the same question by different students as unrelated objects.

Your second approach gives a fairly good answer to question A above.
    To answer question B, I think you might need to take an average over all the students of their performance on each question, and then analyse the standard deviation of these averages. Or maybe you were trying to answer a different question altogether?

I'll just make a general disclaimer: I'm not a statistician. I'm a mathematician so my knowledge of statistics is a bit rusty but I thought what I had to say might help a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

Chicken Delight claims that 90% of its orders are delivered within 10 minutes of the time the order is placed. A sample of 100 orders revealed that 82 were delivered within the promised time. At the 0.10 significance level, can we conclude that less than 90% of the orders are delivered in less...

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

Having a problem with a question in stat class. Here it goes: a lab reports the mean of three(3) weighings. The mean is 123mg and the standard deviation is 0.08mg? What is the distribution of this mean? And what is the probability that the lab reports a weight of 124mg or higher? Any help would be...

View more questions Search