Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikey2007 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Goodman Furnace - Filter?
    We just bought a home with a Goodman furnace (either model GMT or GMTH) and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the furnace goes. The unit sits on the floor and draws the return air from duct in the crawlspace. I removed the side panel and there is a label indicating not to install a filter in the bottom of the unit. The manual mentions filter sizes, but doesn't say where to install them. I'm stuimped.

Can anyone help me out? Our home is pretty dusty, so we'd sure like to get a filter installed.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 21, 2007, 09:19 PM
    It is possible that the person that put the furnace in did not make provisions for a filter. I have seen that situation before. If you have a filter location it will be on the return air side of the furnace somewhere.

May 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    it is possible that the person that put the furnace in did not make provisions for a filter. I have seen that situation before. If you have a filter location it will be on the return air side of the furnace somewhere.
    How would I go about providing for one? Like I said, when I removed the side cover of the furnace there's a label that mentions not installing a filter there... the heat exchanger is directly above the bottom of the unit which rests on the floor. There's a chmber about 18" tall below the heat exchanger.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 22, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Actually since you just bought the home it would be a good time to have the furnace looked at by a professional to make sure all is OK. At that time you can ask him if there is a placer for a filter and if not how much will it cost to have some channel installed for a filter. It is best not to guess on filter locations.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Have you taken the door off the blower housing? Are you sure the return isn't in the attic and supply in the crawlspace? This would be a downflow... And have you checked for a filter grille possibly in the ceiling somewhere?

May 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Have you taken the door off of the blower housing?? Are you sure the return isn't in the attic and supply in the crawlspace? This would be a downflow....And have you checked for a filter grille possibly in the ceiling somewhere?

I'm sure the return is in the crawlspace. I haven't seen any sort of in-line filter in the duct, but wouldn't it be unusual for the filter to be on the supply side?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 08:12 PM
    The filter should never be in the supply. Where are the supply registers located? Have you checked the blower compartment? Sometimes a filter rack is installed in the duct just outside the furnace on the return side.

May 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    The filter should never be in the supply. Where are the supply registers located? Have you checked the blower compartment? sometimes a filter rack is installed in the duct just outside the furnace on the return side.

The supply registers are either in the ceiling or upper wall.

The unit sits directly on a concrete floor, which has a recess in it. The return duct in the crawlspace is connected to this "well".

I have attached a quick drawing of my system. The red arrow is where I would have expected a filter, but there is a label saying not to install a filter there. If not there, WHERE?
    Attached Images

NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Is the blower in the upper or lower half of the furnace? How many cold air returns do you have?

May 24, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Is the blower in the upper or lower half of the furnace? How many cold air returns do you have?
    The heat exchanger is right above the red arrow, and the AC condenser sits on top of the unit between it and the duct.

There is one return in each bedroom and 2 in the living room. There is no return in the family room, dining, or kitchen.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Pull blower door, there should be a wire thingy, that holds a fiter down to the bottom floor of the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is it? Carrier furnace filter [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm not that handy but I'm learning. I have a five year old house I just bought and I don't know where is the furnace filter. My furnace is laying on its right side so any info will be great. Is it inside or on the bottom? The model is 58STA-58STX Carrier furnace. :confused:

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Goodman Furnace Filter [ 1 Answers ]

We had a new Goodman furnace installed in a deal with new windows (maybe our first mistake) in the spring of 2006. I wanted to change the filter before we got too far into the winter season. Now I don't consider myself an idiot but I cannot find the darn filter. So even if you consider me an...

Filter for furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a 1989 Fleetwood moblie home. It has in Intertherm furnace in it. The model number is MGH-055-ABWN-06. I am having trouble locating the filter on my furnace. Please help if you can. :confused:

Water dripping onto furnace filter [ 4 Answers ]

This will probably be hard to diagnose without seeing the problem but I though I would run it by you guys since the HVAC tech wasn't sure what to do. I have a lennox heat pump with the furnace in our garage. It is an upflow unit so the filter is at the bottom of the unit with the coils and drip pan...

View more questions Search