Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acmepinnacle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Hydro jetting sewer line creates a clog
    I have a small retail proerty, for which we periodically hydrojet the sewer line as preventive maintenance. There is a Chinese Restaurant and, despite proper care of their grease trap, the sewer line plugs periodically, hence the preventive maintenance.

We have had the sewer line videod, and found no problem.

Now, on a couple of occasions, they did the hydrojet preventive maintenance. Within a couple of days, a clog presented itself, and they had to hydrojet again.

Why would a sewer line that is not clogged, although presumably becoming a bit slow, end up with a clog a couple of days after this preventive maintenance?

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 21, 2007, 01:21 PM
    If it is a bit slow chances are that there is an obstruction somewhere. The jetting may have broken it loose but not flushed it totally away. I am sure surprised that the camera did not show a plug or any reason for the slow drain. How far did the plumber go with the camera, hopefilly all the way to the city riser.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Televise it after they hydro jet the line.
    Grease is the hardest thing to manage in a sewer line and Chineese Restaurants are notorious for problems.
    I have had them plug main lines in the street from the grease.
    Televise after they have used there hydrojet and you will see grease stuck to the pipe.
    You may need to clean the grease traps more often.
    I agree with Ballenger they probably just knocked the grease of the sides of the pipe.
    If your going to do routine maintenance anyway try rodding the line with a grease paddle. Most plumber should know what they are and they will be a lot cheaper than a hydro jet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I had a blockage in a restaurant kitchen drain that was loaded with grease. Couldn't auger it out, couldn't blow it out, I ended up renting a steam jenny and taking the jenny up on the roof and sending steam down the vent. This loosened the grease and let it flow into the grease trap. Regards, Tom
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 22, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Good idea. I have thought about trying this on lines that run directly into a manhole.
    From what the original post said I understood the blockage was past the grease trap.
    Would be interesing to see if it causes a problem when the grease hits the main and solidifies again.
    There are some degreasing products that work well in the mains. I will get the product information from work today and post them later.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acmepinnacle
    I have a small retail proerty, for which we periodically hydrojet the sewer line as preventive maintenance. There is a Chinese Restaurant and, despite proper care of their grease trap, the sewer line plugs periodically, hence the preventive maintenance.

We have had the sewer line videod, and found no problem.

Now, on a couple of occasions, they did the hydrojet preventive maintenance. Within a couple of days, a clog presented itself, and they had to hydrojet again.

Why would a sewer line that is not clogged, although presumably becomming a bit slow, end up with a clog a couple of days after this preventive maintenance?

thanks.
    Is the grease trap draining everything in the kitchen, or is it draining only the fixtures required by local code?

I've been in a few kitchens where everything, including the hand sinks and dishwasher were plumbed into the grease trap, which overwhelms the grease trap.

Also, I've seen a number of grease traps improperly maintained; Are they cleaning out the flow control? Are they cleaning out the non-grease sludge that accumulates at the bottom of the interceptor? Have they disconnected and capped the vent on the flow control -- Or was it ever vented in the first place?
    seattledrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
    Jetting works best going upstream toward the building, that way as it moves up the pipe toward the building it is flushing everything toward the city sewer. Not all buildings have an outside cleanout and you have no choice but to start inside and go toward the street, this leaves some buildup in the line that can create a clog later. We use a flusher nozzle that creates a lot of flow as a last step to prevent this from happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find the sewer line. [ 7 Answers ]

I need to move a full bath in my basement. However, the sewer line can take one of two routes to one of two streets both having sewer mains. I have no telltale outside vents or cleanouts that I have been able to locate. What's the best way, before I start destroying concrete, to locate the...

Buried sewer line [ 4 Answers ]

How do I detect or locate my buried sewer lines in my yard?

Keeping pipe line clog free [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to keep the drainage pipes clog free. What type of a maintenance routine should I follow? Thanks for your in put.crm

P-trap to outside sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing an above ground swimming pool and have been told by the city that we must install a permanent drain line / p-trap to the sewer lines. My husband called a plumber and thought he understood what he needed to do. Now the plumber has come to the house and said it is done all wrong...

Sewer line problem [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a new old house (in Madison WI). The house sits at roughly the top of a hill. Shortly after moving in, I noticed that sewage seemed to have backed up through the floor drain in the basement. I cleaned up around the floor drain and for a while nothing more happened. Then I noticed...

View more questions Search