Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FunInAK Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2003, 01:37 PM
    Registry Key for CountrySelection
    ;D Hello I have a problem with the Registry.
    Technical Information
    56K PCI Ibternal Data/Fax Modem
    V.92, Version 9.00-9K
    Clone PC Computer, Desktop, Microsoft Windows 98SE
    AuthenticAMD AMD Duron(tm) Processor
    240MB RAM

Registry says:
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Under the Run command, under the CountrySelection list the wrong file name.
    I do not know what should be under the command. Right now it says "pctptt.exe" which is incorrect according to Norton Utilities.
    I can edit the registry, however, I do not know what value to put there. Can you help?
    I have been to the modems support pages, and Microsoft knowledge base and neither addresses this problem.
    Thank you,
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2003, 04:12 PM
    Fun, other than what NU says, is "pctptt.exe" causing your PC any actual harm or damage? If it doesn't , then it's nothing to worry about . Just disable it by going to START->RUN and type "msconfig". Then un-check it, and re-boot. :)
    FunInAK Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2003, 10:34 AM
    ::) Hello Elina,
    I did here back from the company about the modem. They wanted to know what modem I was using previously so they could blame it on that. What a discouraging response. So me being the way I am, I replyed as to what that had to do with anything. There reply being the same as you said, just delete it.
    I am not having trouble with the modem, it just came up on Norton Utilities as a registry problem. After doing some alternative research I have found out that Norton was wrong, and the registry info is correct. Go figure?
    So thanks for your help. Now to watch out for attachments due to all the virus worms, how annoying.
    Thanks Kim.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2003, 03:49 PM
    Kim, hi, sure, anytime, you're welcome. I'm glad to be of help. Yeah, Norton Utilities is not always correct, as you have found out. May I suggest another program you might like to try that has worked for me every time. It's called SYSTEM MECHANIC. Just that it's a little more advanced, but well worth the try and pretty self-explanatory. However, anything that you see listed as ending in ".dll or .sys", don't erase them when SYSTEM MECHANIC is checking, searching, or is cleaning your computer. Or for that matter, when NU finds .dll or .sys files, too. They are system files, and it's best to leave system files alone, and only for the experienced tech to mess around with them. Both SM & NU got useful tools. Kim, I suggest using them both to check on your computer errors from time to time. You can download a 30-day trial version of SYSTEM MECHANIC at www.download.com. And please feel free to ask any of the techs here. We are happy to be of any further help, moe so than the company you called. ;D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Registry [ 23 Answers ]

How do I manually clean my registry?

Using a registry cleaner [ 3 Answers ]

I am using a registry cleaner and doing an aggressive scan. The report has shown up Invalid ProgID entry's (OLE/DDE) and Invalid ApplD entry's (OLE/DDE) What are these and how safe is...

Messed up my registry. [ 7 Answers ]

Few months back I did something I got from a website that supposedly would let me print a directory list. Well, I don't like the format that it prints, and it would not let me SAVE the list (which was really my goal). Worse yet, I now have to right click > Open all folders on my computer. When...

Registry Cleaners [ 4 Answers ]

Using win98se (I know but xp won't solve my problem as I kind of like 98). I've got about 4 registry cleaners--paid for 1, 3 are free downloads (JV16, etc). When I run all these programs, they all want to delete iexplore.exe (in addition to junk). What's with that? I've never had a problem...

Registry Question [ 4 Answers ]

This is the final thing I have yet to do.) ( I think) With all the information that has been provided to me, I am just going over my notes to make sure I have done everything. I have done everything below. But I know some of you were giving suggestions about a registry cleaner. Do I still need to...

View more questions Search